CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper for Homier (mini-mill) and other questions

on 2002-10-15 05:07:18 UTC
Wow, you newbies put a LOT in one post.

For the Mini-mill, I would see how others have done it. It's not
high precision out of the box, but precision is what you add as you
modify.

The mini-mill has a design that makes the head somewhat less rigid
than most other styles. The upright can flex under heavy loads in
the Y movement and can possibly move under heavy X axis movement.

Also, I think this machine is under the bar for ball screws.
(Comments welcome) The reason is that on big mills, the tradeoff is
a large motor overcomming the effency loss of the leadscrew as well
as keeping the price low for the stepper and the fact that stepppers
have a ceiling in power.

The big thing is anti-backlash to eleminate any marks in the part
when cutting and associated errors. You should be able to remove the
backlash on the ACME screws. And if the screws are accurate over
the length, accuracy would not be improved.

- - -
If you sell TurboCAD/CAM then you already have a software package.

and you are correct, the parallel port control is a replacement for
dedicated add-in controller cards like Allen Bradley.

The benefit is ultra low cost, the down side is that the limit is 8
axis for most programs.

So the G-code controls the stepper controller (Gecko?) and that
contorls the stepper. you need to add a power supply and some limit
switches. all pretty simple.

Dave