CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

[CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Stepper for Homier and other questions

on 2002-10-16 08:19:10 UTC
Thanks, Al
I appreciate the information. It takes a while to put all the pieces together in my thoughts. Your explanation really helps.

Terry
Northwest PA

>>> alenz@... 10/15/02 09:23PM >>>
Terry,
Yes, the controller software (Turbocnd, CNCPro, Master5, etc.) all
accept G-code as input. And yes, it is quite feasable to go from
Autocad or other CAD to G-code. AceConverter (free) from Yeager
is one way. With it, you would draw the actual toolpaths, i.e.
not the part outline, but offset by the tool radius and save each
toolpath on a seperate layer in your CAD file. Then save as a DXF
file. AceConverter can now convert each layer into the required
G-code file. It will allow you to set the Z-depth and I believe
a few other parameters, although it is pretty basic. It will
probably require some minor tweeking by hand to get exactly what
you want.

Another way, that I now use, is VectorCAM. Again save your drawing
as DXF, (the R12DXF seems best), Then use Vector to make the tool
offsets, lead-in and lead-outs, revise the dwg, tweek the toolpath,
or most anything else that you want to do. Then it will
generate the G-code for your specific controller software. (There
are some differences in the way controller programs interpret the
G-code). There lots of other methods, but this is what I have personal
experience with.

Hope this helps,
al

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Terry D Palmer" <tdp_130@b...> wrote:
> Andrew, Thanks for the reply
>
> So, you say that Turbocnc (and some of the others) only interprets
g-code, so I would either need to be able to create a g-code list of
the instructions that define the shape that I'm trying to create, or
find a program that outputs g-code that Turbocnc can then input, or
find a CADCAM program that can go from the drawing to the g-code to
the parallel port ? Do I have that right ?

> What kinds of programs, other than the integrated CADCAM generat g-
code ? Is there a way to generate g-code from Autocad files and is
that a good way to go, or not. I have some experience in Autocad, so
I would like to be able to take advantage of that, but if is going to
cause more problems than it saves, I would look at another solution.

> Terry
> Northwest PA

Addresses:

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........

Post messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Moderator: jmelson@... timg@... [Moderator]
bill,
List Mom