CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Clifton Precision Servo Specs

on 2002-10-16 08:24:15 UTC
At 04:52 AM 10/16/02 -0000, you wrote:
>Thanks Bill, Jan and Steven,
>
>I got these servo motors from ebay. for a picture of them see:
><http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1770858030>
<snip>
They look extreemly similar to what I have.
<Snip>
>using to control a Surplus Center treadmill motor. I've also got
>Vector CAD/CAM but haven't had time yet to do the tutorial.

I just bought Vector. Was shipped yesterday! Can hardly wait till it arives.

>I'm slowly making progress....
>
>Right now I'm trying to understand these servo motors.
>
>Exactly how do I hook up the encoder to a pullup resistor with the
>G340s?

>I also need to know what voltage I can run them at and what the
>max current is. Of course I would also like to know the torque
>and speed constants for them without measuring them since I
>don't have a Tektronix scope yet.

Not sure how to explain over the email, but I work in Boulder so we should
get together and figure it out. I have scopes, power supplies, etc so that
should help. I also have a Gecko servo drive (forget which one, have not
powered it up yet) that I'd like to learn how to use.

As for voltage, I seem to remember running them at around 15V. That suited
my needs at the time. I used them to spin a mirror, and the encoder
incremented a counter that displayed a different cross section on a matrix
of 8x8 leds. Looking at the LEDs via the spinning mirror, it would display
3D images. Was my high school science project, and got me my current job.

- Steven Ciciora

sciciora (at) al.noaa.gov

>Wayne Whippo (Boulder, CO) - In Digest Mode
>

>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Steven Ciciora <sciciora@A...> wrote:
>> Sounds like some motors I have at home. Did you buy them from
>Gateway
>> Electronics, years ago? I've also found them in old line printers,
>for
>> moving the print head back and forth. The outputs are Open
>Collector,
>> meaning they need a pullup resistor to +5V for TTL output. There
>are two
>> sets of lines on the glass disk on the shaft encoder. Different
>> resolutions. Each one has A and B outputs, 90 deg. apart. I was
>just
>> planning on using one for Halloween, to keep track of a rotating
>mirror
>> position, while I strobe a laser pointer. Should look cool in the
>fog from
>> the fog machine.
>>
>> What other info do you need? What is your application? What do
>you want
>> to drive them with?
>>
>> - Steven Ciciora (Superior, CO)
>>

>> At 04:58 PM 10/14/02 -0000, you wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >I have a couple of DC permanent magnet brush servo motors I'm
>trying
>> >to find the specifications for. They measure 2.25 inch diameter
>> >by 4 inch long plus a 1 inch long encoder.
>> >
>> >Clifton Precision (Litton)
>> >Model No. DH-2250-AU-1
>> >P/N 96214-994206-0001, Rev G.
>> >Date Code 8244
>> >
>> >I've looked at the specs on the Poly-Scientific site
>> >at <http://www.polysci.com/datasheetlist.htm>
>> >selecting: Permanent Magnet DC Motors
>> >to download <http://www.polysci.com/Documents/moc23series.pdf>
>> >or from <http://www.polysci.com/Motors/c23series.html>.
>> >
>> >but these motors are not listed. They must have been made before
>> >Northrop Grumman Poly-Scientific acquired Clifton Precision.
>> >
>> >The encoder has a circuit board labeled "Texas Instruments" and has
>> >a LM339N chip on it. Any idea if it is TTL compatible?
>> >
>> >Any help would be appreciated.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Wayne Whippo (Boulder, CO)
>

>Addresses:
>
>OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.
>http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.