CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Tool changing

Posted by Peter
on 2002-10-16 12:50:16 UTC
Alan,

I'm playing around with a tool changer design but still have a long ways
to go. My plan is to change out standard R-8 tooling. So far, I have
an air powered power drawbar (Travers or KBC Tools carry several brands,
mine's the Aussie Drawbar) for which I have moved control from the
manual lever to a pair of Festo double action air solenoids I bought off
eBay. I have set an "unload" timer at 2 seconds and a "load" timer at
1.2 seconds. Currently I control load/unload by two buttons, which
activate the timers. With a couple of hundred tool changes so far, it
hasn't missed a beat but I want more experience running it from timers -
before further automation.

I've done some of the initial concept design and eventually, I plan to
make a little robotic arm with a tool clamp on the end which will grab
the tool from an 8 tool carousel and place it into the spindle, activate
the "load" timer for 2 secs and presto, tool loaded and locked.
FYI, I previously had the power draw bar fitted to my Rong Fu Mill Drill
and it worked fine - but I had to make a custom mounting bracket to
mount it over the spindle pulley and I had to run the motor/pulleys with
the top cover removed.

Cheers, Peter