CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] newbie questions on visual mill

Posted by Peter
on 2002-10-20 11:58:08 UTC
Hi Steve,

I'm assuming you have VM 4.0? I'm still running 3.2 while my upgrade
ships. Answers below:

Steve Ross wrote:

>Hello
>I just started trying to use visual mill and have 4 question. Any help
>would be appreciated.
>
>1. In the help index when you click on create it says there is no page to
>be found. Is this a bug?

Yes, probably. In VM 3.2 I have "Create Machine Ops", Create Menu"
and "Create Regions" - all have a help screen behind them. Email
Mecsoft with the problem. (If you ask which create page you are looking
for help, I send you a screen capture of that part of my help.

>2. Can you resize your cad project bigger or smaller for post processing in
>visual mill.

Yes, in VM3.2 it is under "Edit/Transform Selection" Just select the
Scale tab. You may have to "select" the work first, before scaling. (
I see there is also an input for metric/imperial units - however I have
always set mm via the "Preferences" menu. Once set, it stays in mm.)

>3. How can I switch over to millimeters from inchs or is that again specfic
>to the cad model.

See above.

>4. how does the different operations i.e roughing, finishing work in the
>post processor. I have a taig mill which does not have a tool changer, does
>each operation stop and wait for an operator command or is it continuious.
>and you have to break up the cam operations.

You'll have to play with the post editor and look at the produced G-Code
files to get a clear understanding of how things work, but you can
perform multiple machining operations with the same tool - if you want.
I have a BP clone without a toolchanger and my Flashcut controller just
sends the table to my specified tool change position (just an XYZ
coordinate) I've pasted a sample tool change below to give you an idea
how I configured the post processor:

N379X-3.749Y-12.727
N380Z3.
N381Z10.167F800
(OPERATION: Horizontal Finishing)
N382G21
N383M05 M09 (Motor & Coolant off before rapid)
N384G28 (Rapid move to Tool Change Position)
N385T23M06
N386G43 H23 (Apply Cutter Compensation)
N387G29 X-3.749Y-12.727Z10.167 (Re-position Tool)
N388S4000M3M7 (Set RPM's, Motor On and Mist Coolant On)
N389G0X-62.325Y-15.204Z6.794
N390G1Z2.475F800
N391Z1.875F250
N392Y-13.877
N393X-62.317Y-13.445

If you're not familiar with tool changing - make sure you cut air the
first few times to understand how tool length comp works. (You need to
measure the length of all your tools from a datum - G43 just takse the
difference between tool lengths and applies an offset.)
What controller are you using with your Taig? Someone in the group may
be familiar with how the Tiag controller handles tool changes.
Have fun and ask away as you learn!

Cheers, Peter

Discussion Thread

djld98370 2002-10-20 08:53:31 UTC is any one using rutex plasma softwear or drives? Steve Ross 2002-10-20 09:09:19 UTC newbie questions on visual mill Steve Ross 2002-10-20 09:09:30 UTC newbie questions on visual mill Tim Goldstein 2002-10-20 10:02:22 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] newbie questions on visual mill Peter 2002-10-20 11:58:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] newbie questions on visual mill