CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: home made injection mold

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2000-02-03 08:28:55 UTC
I also have one of those Gingery Plastic Injection moulding ,machine. I
built mine like the book says. It works great but I would redesign to make
it much simpler. I ended up using every machoine in my well equiped shop ie
lathe , mill, grinder, drill press, bandsaw, welder, torch, air compressor.
I would use three pieces of 3/8 thick angle about 4X4 and ~12L
each angle would be drill near the ends for a 5/8 running stud.
Seperator/spacers would be used between the angles and nuts used to secure
this " press type arrangement" A acme 5 TPI screw would be used to drive the
injection piston with a bearing so the rotary leascrew doneesn't twist the
piston rod. The chanber would be bored for a .001 clearance with the piston.
A large hole would be cut into the side of the block for loading larger
amounts of plastic. This way only a few tools would be required..
I have scanned a picture of the unit from the book if you are interested.
BTW I nearly have all the parts to build the vacuum forming machine also.
Dan
-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Date: Thursday, February 03, 2000 7:27 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] home made injection mold

>From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>
>Well....
> This project was the start of my huge interest in the world of CNC,
and mechatronics in general. Even though the project
>itself didn't involve controls of any kind, it gave me the confidence and
desire to reach for more and more sophisticate home
>projects.
> While working for a major appliance manufacturer, I was a design
engineer on a team for a new refrigerator. I was
>surprised and appalled at the prices of aluminum prototype tooling
(injection molds). For instance, a mold for a knob or some
>other simple shape was in the range of 6k to 10k bucks! Remember, these
are aluminum tools for prototype parts. They don't
>have to have fancy ejector setups, no cooling lines, and most of all, no
strict constraints on surface finish, parting lines, or
>flash.
> So during a lunch time discussion with some fellow co-workers, someone
whipped out one of their parts that cost 12K to
>prototype. I said, "holy crap, I could build that at home!" Well, since I
was in a group largely composed of magna cum laude
>"engineers" they all burst out laughing and the general consensus was,
"yea right". (everyone's finger making little circles
>around their ears)
> As I am sure everyone on this list will understand, my personal ability
to make "things" is a source of great pride and
>therefore could never let this assault on my personal dignity go
unchallenged.
> So I built the mold, then I built a little "machine", cut up some old
milk jugs and shot the part. Most of you will be
>disappointed with the relative lack of sophistication of the injection
molding machine. I got the most satisfaction from the
>mold itself.
> The mold was machined by hand, manually, with an aluminum base and brass
dropouts. The molding machine was made from a block
>of steel, an oven thermometer, an arbor press, and 2, 400 Watt cartridge
heaters. So that I don't delude you into thinking that
>I thought all this stuff up myself, the majority of my ideas came from a
book called (strangely enough) "how to build an
the source, Lindsay Books www.lindsaybks.com They
>publish old and out of print "how to" books that are like buried treasure
for tinkerers.
> Since I was pressed for time, I skipped the use of any type of
thermostatic controls on the heater block. I simply switched
>on the heaters and when the block got to about 350F I switched them off.
(this took a little practice to control burning). The
>milk jug material was clear polystyrene that shot well around 350-400F. I
won't mention that all my parts ended up smelling
>like burnt plastic, but the damn thing worked, and I sure showed those guys
(they couldn't have cared less). But I did
>accomplish what I said I would do, and I feel like I proved my point. I
quit the big giant corporate world right around the
>time that finished the mold. I have since gone to work for a 3 man group
without all the B.S. and no stress (for less money of
>course)
> Anyway, the total cost of the project was about 20 bucks for two
cartridge heaters and a thermometer. Of course I already
>had all the aluminum and such lying around. Time wise I build the mold in
one weekend and the molding machine the following
>week after work. Not a bad amount of work for 12 grand!
> I will take pictures and go through the do's and don'ts and "what I
would do different" for those of you who care. Anyone
>who want's more detail let me know.
> Sorry about the length.
>

>Matt Shaver wrote:
>
>> From: "Matt Shaver" <mshaver@...>
>>
>> > From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>> >
>> > I built a home made injection molding machine and mold one time on
>> bet. It's an interesting story if anyone cares.....
>>
>> We care, WE CARE! How did you do the heating and temperature control?
What
>> did it look like?
>>
>> Matt

>> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
>> Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
Here</a>