CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: vexta stepper/driver

Posted by tommoser3246
on 2002-10-24 06:32:47 UTC
Zafar, I have extensive experience using Vexta 5-phase stepper
motors. They are great motors if you don't have to pay regular new
price and if you can get the drivers specifically for the motors you
have. Oriental Motor is usually helpful but they want to sell the
motors and drivers as matched pairs and usually won't give you much
information about the motors by themselves beyond the basic specs.
The main problem with these 5-phase motors is the number of pulses
needed to move them. For example, a Vexta 5-phase motor has 500 steps
per revolution on full step and 1000 steps per revolution when driven
at half step. If you have a 5 tpi lead screw thats 2500 or 5000 steps
per inch. If you use a 20 tpi screw (like some of the cnc router
plans kits recommend) you are at 50,000 or 100,000 steps per inch.
Considering that in actual practice it is hard to get more than a few
thousand pulses per second from most PCs you can see that the time to
move anything driven by these motors can be very long. I use these
motors for extremely high resolution x-y tables. If you are going to
use them for a cnc router or anything that does not need that level
of resolution I would recommend you use motors with less steps per
revolution. If you need the resolution and don't care if it runs
slooooow, then go for it.

Tom

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Zafar Salam" <info@s...> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Going through the old posts here, I noticed that a few members are
using the vexta 5-phase steppers/drivers. I have my eyes on a set of
Super Vexta drivers and vexta PH599H-A steppers that are going cheep.
Could you guide me on their performance and which software are you
using to drive them. These are 0.72 degrees and 2.4A Nema 32 motors.
I couldn't find the specs of the motors on the web. Oriental motors
web site doesn't seem to have these numbers. Is there any other place
should I look in.

> Regards,
> Zafar

Zafar Salam 2002-10-23 22:31:29 UTC vexta stepper/driver Lloyd Leung 2002-10-24 00:21:25 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] vexta stepper/driver tommoser3246 2002-10-24 06:32:47 UTC Re: vexta stepper/driver Jon Elson 2002-10-24 09:33:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] vexta stepper/driver Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-10-24 11:52:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] vexta stepper/driver Zafar Salam 2002-10-24 19:14:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] vexta stepper/driver