CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Flashcut

Posted by Chris L
on 2002-11-06 00:09:04 UTC
Tim Goldstein wrote:

> (snip) I would not
> be surprised if within a year you don't see a 2.5 amp drive all set up
> on a box along with a windows based controller and the matching motors
> for about half of Flashcut. It is almost there.

Exactly... Almost. I look forward to it. It has been a long time coming and I recall the days when the majority claimed it "simply is NOT possible to do it with Windows".... Look at where we are today.
I love it.

> Dan at Camtronics is
> offering a 2.5 amp drive in a box complete with the power supply. He
> will also set you up with motors. Mach1 will soon have all the features
> of Flashcut and more. Deskam has the DeskWinNC controller that gives you
> solid performance on any Windows platform. All it will take is some
> enterprising individual to put is all together.

You've hit it on the head... The problem is no-one really puts it all together, at least neatly. Some who do put it together have cabinets that look like spider webs inside. Is it so hard to make a
NICE looking box?? A nice looking box is probably one of the only things I've appreciated from MicroK.... their Driveracks.

Why doesn't Deskam offer a turnkey with Drives ? How about Mach1 ?
I think it is because it adds greatly to their overhead.... Now they have to test compatability, now they have more support issues, deals to make, more employees, insurances,,,,, Before you know it,
they've got a $1000 controller too.

> If I was Flashcut I
> would either be trying to move more to the segment that is willing to
> pay for turn key or trying to figure out how to compete with the coming
> wave of lower cost hobby CNC.

In some respects, They have been trying to find ways to compete with the new "wave". They have done so by working super hard to keep the newer release at the same price level as the 16 bit version and
offering some pretty good upgrade options for older purchasers. Indexer's developers gave the big "freeze" to older customers for upgrade options and turned many aside. I think a control setup from
them will run 1Kish...

Flashcut works hard to stay in the lower market...

Reality is, growth and responsibilities cost money and it isn't getting easier to stay in business. How many hobbiests buy controls per week, per month, per year ? Imagine the support calls ! Not
necessarilly because of a product issue but just not enough common sense to fgure it out on their own or even READ the manual !

It became clear to me long ago that obviously very smart business desicions were made. I saw a lot of OEM's jump on their bandwagon. No doubt, software that worked without fiddling made that an easier
jump. And, 1K is not too much to ask for most of those apps.

So, I'm not sure where it will all go. It could be that they will eventually move up the ladder of control rather than down and that means price too. That also could mean then that the 32 bit release
when available might be THE best and most affordable version to get before they start climbing! I hope it can hang on. The "open-ness" so many clamoured for has been written into the new release, even
though it is initially "closed"... Future users are going to get access to some of that "open-ness" but probably at a cost.

One things for sure, the Windows Control market does get more interesting every day.
Chris L