CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAD/CAM questions

on 2002-11-15 01:59:02 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "narentaj" <support@c...> wrote:
> This refers to message numbers 51565 and 52421 from John Stevenson.
> John is offering his advice as if he has been using CAPSmill
> extensively and has thorough knowledge of its innards. I work for
> Tech. Support in Cadem, and I'd like to set the record straight.
>
> John enrolled as a Beta tester and did one job using CAPSmill, then
> dropped out of the program citing lack of time. His advice on
> CAPSmill comes out the miniscule knowledge of CAPSmill that he
> acquired doing that one single job.
>
> Here is what John has been saying, and our comments. See full text
>of
> emails between Cadem and John at http://www.cadem.com/john.htm

You are incorrect in saying I only did one job. I did quite a few but
due to the program I wasn't able to do many of them.
The first bug I found was the inability to do ANY pocket milling. No
workround, new file or help was offerd on this.
What am I suppost to do? Redesign my jobs so they don't have pockets
in them?
As they were not able to be completed they couldn't be sent or
allowed under your 20 job limit.
Even though it was a beta and you said you would upload the new exe's
as they came available, after 18 days the old ones were still on the
site. That's 18 out of a possible 31 days. Hardly keeping up with
things is it?

I particulary liked your email that sugested I stay in all week end,
in the middle of summer, to do you 20 drawings, all different and
using diferent stratergies.

I looked at the program to see if it had improved from it's earlier
version, V5. If you remember I tried this, not the beta, the full
package. The two files I wanted to do, the gearbox housing and the
double level finger plate it was not able to do. You admitted this.
V6 and subsequent programs now have these as examples. I have
repeatedly asked they be removed as this was not a beta program and
they are not your property.
So I try the beta program and the first few files I try it can't do
again.
Is Meatloaf programming for you? You know the guy who wrote two out
of three ain't bad.

I never said don't buy this program, I just pointed out a problem so
that anybody trying it could make up their own mind and try it out
with their files.
I will admit that I do use two other programs, I've never hidden this
but as I repeatedly say I DON'T SELL THEM.
You are associated with Cadem and so have a vested interest
All programs have quirks as opposed to bugs. It's nice to know that
what you are trying to do can be done if you are aware of it.

I still stand by what I say that there are better products out there
for the same or less money.
Lets be blunt now. I can't quote current prices but I know that
Vector and Dolphin [ the two most used programs on this list ] are
priced very attractivly for this group.

Vector is a full 3D package and is very powerfull. It's very well
supported and looked after by Fred Smith. It has far more usable
features than Capsmill. An upgrade will get you full NURBS and true
4th axis.

Dolphin is basically advertised as a 2 1/2D program the same as
Capsmill but again far better features and it can do some 3D work
such as swept surfaces etc. 4th axis and full text engraving is
standard, as is the very capable lathe module.
Support is very good, It's not unusual to get an upgrade out within
two days to cure a problem

> **John says : "I recently took a look at their latest product quite
> deeply and found some serious bugs in the program in dxf imports
and
> other areas. It wasn't even able to do simple files."
>
> He pointed out 1 bug in reading a DXF file, and a couple of typos
in
> the user's manual. This he describes as 'serious bugs'. BTW, as a
> Beta tester his job WAS to find bugs. 'Beta version'means that
there
> are going to be bugs.
>
> **John says : "There were some serious bugs in the DXF import."
>
> See the emails for details of the ONE bug detected by John.
>
> **John says : "Support was less than helpful. Two days sometimes
just
> to get an email reply."
>
> See the dates of the emails in the link mentioned above. Two days
> were only over a weekend, or when something needed to be looked
into
> before replying. And remember, John was a Beta tester and not a
> customer using a release version.
>
> **John says : "They admitted all the bugs I pointed out but offered
> no work around."
>
> Maybe John does not know that Beta testing is done to dig out bugs
> and fix them. Work arounds are meant for released products.
>
> **John says : "When I pressed them for help believe it or not , I
> still have all the emails, they offered the advise that the best
> thing to do was to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows."
>
> The Beta version was designed to die after 30 days with no
> possibility of reactivating. John knew this, but slept for a month
> when he was supposed to be testing. He wanted to reactivate the
> program after 30 days, and we told him this was the only way he do
> it. The release version of course does not work this way. Here are
my
> exact words : "If you want to complete your quota of 20 files and
get
> your free CAPSmill, here's a suggestion. Install it on another PC
(or
> reformat this one's HDD and reinstall Windows etc.) and you get 30
> days more time. I'll get you the go-ahead from my boss."
>
> John broke a couple of cardinal rules of Beta testing. A Beta
tester
> works as a partner with the software developer. There is a certain
> openness and honesty involved in such a relationship. We took
John's
> enrolment at face value instead of doubting his motives, but now it
> looks as though he had a hidden agenda in enrolling for the Beta
> testing.
>
> 1. John did not complete his obligations as a registered Beta
tester.

> 2. He found a bug in the Beta version, which is no big deal.
However,
> he is making it sound like the bug is in the release version.
>
> 3. As a Beta tester he is bound to keep his findings confidential
and
> share it with the developers and not discuss them in public.
>
> John poses as normal CAM user and a hobbyist but his postings in
this
> group clearly show him to be closely associated with a particular
CAM
> program. He pretends to be an impartial CAM guru while his hidden
> agenda is to promote this product. If you read his earlier posts
you
> will notice the nexus.
>
> Naren Sharma
>
> Sr.Engineer - CAD/CAM Support
> Cadem Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

Discussion Thread

southstar66067 2002-11-12 15:26:18 UTC CAD/CAM questions mueller914 2002-11-12 22:08:22 UTC Re: CAD/CAM questions Tim Goldstein 2002-11-12 22:12:50 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAD/CAM questions Jon Elson 2002-11-12 22:14:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD/CAM questions stevenson_engineers 2002-11-12 23:50:10 UTC Re: CAD/CAM questions Larry Ragan 2002-11-13 07:46:42 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD/CAM questions CL 2002-11-13 09:16:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD/CAM questions Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-11-13 11:25:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAD/CAM questions Keith Rumley 2002-11-13 15:03:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAD/CAM questions narentaj 2002-11-14 23:59:39 UTC Re: CAD/CAM questions stevenson_engineers 2002-11-15 01:59:02 UTC Re: CAD/CAM questions narentaj 2002-11-15 03:32:37 UTC Re: CAD/CAM questions stevenson_engineers 2002-11-15 05:52:49 UTC Re: CAD/CAM questions Raymond Heckert 2002-11-15 20:47:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAD/CAM questions