CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: BDI install disk for EMC -evidence that a braindead install already exists

Posted by Patrick Huss
on 2000-02-11 08:06:43 UTC
In the past few days, I have utilized Tim Goldstein's script and my redhat
cd to install linux, rtlinux, and emc. The process is simple(really!) and
painless with the right hardware. There also happens to be an amazing safety
net of people willing to assist in guiding one through the pitfalls of the
installation process. The cost -nothing. The risk of not recouping your
investment -none.

Frankly, I wonder, if you calculated the amount of time it would take you to
develop your own linux-based control software, multiplied that by your
hourly fee, how much would that come to? $5000., $10,000.,That's your
payment, Brian. That you just saved all that time and money because the nist
has done that work for you. Now, I think if you want to take the work thats
been done, and add to it a bit, improve it and SHARE it, just as its been
shared with you, then you would seem to get the point of open source. Thats
what Tim Goldstein and Ray Henry have done. Until now, no one (that I'm
aware of) has asked for money to improve EMC, much less talked about
removing it from the public domain. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you
basically want to develop a proprietary installation proccess for an open
source product, then sell it? Using folks on this list to finance your
endeavour, with the idea that if, in the future, your able to sell more you
will refund money to your "investors". I bet you "particuarily like the
idea".

>I particularly like the idea of offering BDI at $134 to 15
> people now, and if more buyers show up their purchase price
> will be refunded to the earlier buyers. This can be
> implemented at reasonable transaction costs on e-gold.com.

You want your "customers" to assume YOUR risk. What a great deal.....for
you. Sounds a bit like a ponzi scheme to me. :(

Well, I'd like to point out what might be one more risk you hadn't
considered, that emc will keep improving and will eventually have a
completely braindead install proccess, then your proprietary "bdi" won't be
needed by anyone. No one will buy it, no one who did buy it will get any
refund.

Hmmmm......
Patrick