CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ball Screw Crackle Crackle

mayfieldtm wrote:

>My newly installed Ball Screws have a disturbing
>ball crackle.
>
>This being my first experience with Ball Screws,
>I'm not sure just how normal this is?
>Somewere I've gotten the drift that a certain
>amount of crackle is ok.

If these are the black-oxide coated rolled screws, yes. If they are smooth
and shiny, they should not do this. If so, wipe the oil off, and smear
axle grease on the screw, and run it through the nut. Wipe the grease
and chips off, regrease, and run it through the other way. Repeat
until the crackle goes away. I had to do this on one ball nut that was
full of grinder dust. It took quite a while to get all the dirt out of the
nut.

>They crack useally only when I reverse direction for
>a few turns.

Yup, that sure sounds like dirt trapped between the wipers. The dirt gets
run up against the wipers, and is out of the ball track until you reverse.
You may have to remove the wipers to get the dirt out. But, the balls
have probably ground it down pretty small.

mayfieldtm <mayfiet@i... 2003-01-14 13:15:56 UTC Ball Screw Crackle Crackle Jim Brown 2003-01-14 14:56:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ball Screw Crackle Crackle Hoyt McKagen 2003-01-14 16:36:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ball Screw Crackle Crackle Jon Elson 2003-01-14 18:51:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ball Screw Crackle Crackle Tim Goldstein 2003-01-14 19:59:28 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Ball Screw Crackle Crackle