CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Batteries in Power Supply

on 2003-01-21 13:30:57 UTC
Just some thoughts ...

It was suggested that the capacitors could be eliminated if a battery was
floated across the power supply output. This started me thinking about the
battery problem.

I would be concerned about the high ripple current through the battery, and
constant switching between charge and discharge cycles (120 times per second).

I would not build my own system to work this way, and would put significant
filter capacitance on the output.

I would also used lead-acid batteries, because they are rated for
"floating" on the mains.
I would use a regulated output supply, set to the proper float voltage for
the batteries I was using.
I would make the power supply be able to gracefully and safely handle the
over current condition, and allow power to come from the batteries (current
fold back regulation).

I would oversize the batteries, making the batteries peak discharge current
be five times the expected peak servo load. [This may be too conservative,
and I could change my mind after seeing the battery prices. :) ]

My father would have built this by taking a 12.6 V filament transformer,
running it through a selenium bridge rectifier, across some caps, through a
light bulb, across the battery, and off to the load.

Since we like to use higher voltages as CNC supplies, I'd be concerned
about cell-to-cell variance when placing a large number of cells (lead-acid
or otherwise) in series. Each lead-acid cell has a voltage of about 2
volts, so you must stack 30 cells to reach 60 volts. That allows a lot of
cells for temperature variances, chemistry changes, and other nasty things
to build up and cause problems.

Some one of you who is a battery engineer will probably point out the
fallacies in what I've said. Even if some of my concerns are valid, there
may be rational ways to engineer around them.

It is an area where a little engineering up-front (temp sensors, current
monitoring, maybe a little closed-loop charging control) could save a lot
of grief later.

I'm sure it is possible to make it work. The phone company had 48V
lead-acid batteries floating across the line supply for decades, and maybe
still does. It's been quite a few years since I've been inside a phone
exchange building.

-- Carl