CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: clean plasma

Posted by Jay Hayes
on 2000-02-18 17:03:03 UTC
Joe, as a rule of thumb the thinner the metal, the faster you need to cut. The plasma arc should trail the feed by about ten
degrees on the underside of the work when the cutting at the proper speed. You probably need to be going faster than 100 ipm. My
machine can handle 250 ipm and sometimes that's to slow for the best quality cut on thin stuff. Thin steel sheet metal will
form a tougher dross than thicker material. The dross can actually weld itself to the bottom of the work.

If the manual that came with your torch doesn't have a table of cutting speed and current settings, contact the manufacture and
ask to talk to technical support for that particular machine.

Jay Hayes
Weston, WV

Joe Vicars wrote:

> From: Joe Vicars <jvicars@...>
>
> Any words of wisdom for getting slag-free plasma cuts? The material
> thickness is between .030-.060 in. I have a Lincoln Pro-Cut 55 ,
> minimum of 25 amps. My machine will feed up to 100ipm.
> Are there any rules of thumb? I have not been able to get
> consistent results, and frequently leave a trail of slag underneath and
> behind the arc.

Discussion Thread

Joe Vicars 2000-02-18 11:21:40 UTC clean plasma PTENGIN@a... 2000-02-18 12:05:29 UTC Re: clean plasma Joe Vicars 2000-02-18 13:02:44 UTC Re: clean plasma Steve Carlisle 2000-02-18 17:09:19 UTC Re: clean plasma Jay Hayes 2000-02-18 17:03:03 UTC Re: clean plasma