CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: HELP ON CHOOSING A STEPPER MOTOR CONTROLLER

on 2003-01-27 11:30:11 UTC
Jim,

While I agree that the Gecko drives are an amazing product and value,
the xylotec board is NOT a "second rate" drive...

It uses the newest allegro microstepping chip; which is gaining
industry acceptance so fast that it is currently hard to keep in
stock. It is a chopper drive.

And while its voltage and amperage capability is less than the
geckos', you can buy a THREE axis xylotec board for about 75% of the
cost of ONE gecko!

So unless you NEED the higher voltage and amperage, the xylotec board
is a VERY good alternative to the Gecko drives. And MANY people will
consider THAT to be money well spent, not wasted,

Ballendo

P.S. The xylotec board does not require fancy external reset
circuitry, or capacitors hanging outside the drives...

P.P.S. I DO think the Geckos ARE a very good product. But they are
not the only "correct" choice for ALL CNC.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jim Brown <jagco1998@y...>
wrote:

> Just save yourself some trouble and time and invest in Gecko
drives, instead of wasting your money on second rate drives....The
best money I ever spent!!

> Regards,
> Jim
> Tim Goldstein <timg@k...> wrote:Torque with a bipolar driver will
be about 30% higher with the same
> motor than a unipolar drive. A chopper style current limiting drive
> (which the Xylotex is) will produce a much higher speed when run at
the
> higher voltage you can use with this type of drive compared to an
drive
> that uses resistors for the current limiting.
>
> Ultimately the torque and speed are greatly dependent upon the
motors
> you use and the voltage you can run them at.
>
> Tim
> [Denver, CO]
> Sherline products at Deep Discount
> Mach1 & DeskCNC with credit card ordering
> www.KTMarketing.com/Sherline

aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
it if you have trouble.

a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/