CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC is installed, So now what?

on 2003-02-08 11:15:53 UTC
Hi,
Re: your question 1)

Try the other soultions recommened on the list first (CTL/ALT
stuff). I had the same video probelm. Not a Linux person at all, I
was a little confused. I (re)installed a coupled times with no
luck. I then simply chose a different video display monitor type
during setup (mine is generic and was not on the list). I think I
used NEC2D (or 3D) Multisync (or something like that). It worked.
If you were able to choose your monitor & video card exactly, then
what I did will not be a solution for you.

Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Chris and Dee
<brunoblazer@y...>" <brunoblazer@y...> wrote:
> This may sound ignorant, and for that I apologize. Here goes:
>
> I got a new office computer recently, so my AMD K6/II 400Mhz office
> computer became my garage/cnc computer. Onto that I installed Mach
1
> and TurboCNC with a dual boot OS and both seem to be running quite
> well (thanks Art!).
>
> So I was left with my old P166 which I decided I would try to
install
> EMC onto. I downloaded the BDI image and fired up the
installation,
> and other than a screen resolution that needs to be increased
(can't
> see the whole window), it seems to be running.
>
> However I have a few questions:
> 1.) I know very limited Unix and this is my first time ever on
> Linux. I can't find the screen resolution adjustment anywhere nor
> can I locate the EMC ini file to let me enter in the port outputs &
> motor tuning info.
>
> 2.) Why use EMC over TurboCNC or Mach1? What does it do better,
if
> anything at all? Is its only advantage that its free open source?
>
> 3.) Last question: When I run TurboCNC on the P166, the 8254
> latency is lower than my AMD K6 II 400. By all accounts the 400
> should be much faster (284mb ram vs 96, etc. etc). Is the 8254
> (which I assume is a clock of some kind) latency a function of
> motherboard layout alone and nothing else? What would affect this?
>
> As always, thanks!
>
> -Chris

Discussion Thread

Chris and Dee <brunoblazer@y... 2003-02-07 12:45:07 UTC EMC is installed, So now what? ccq@x... 2003-02-07 13:32:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC is installed, So now what? Jon Elson 2003-02-07 23:23:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC is installed, So now what? Paul 2003-02-08 02:56:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC is installed, So now what? Carol & Jerry Jankura 2003-02-08 07:05:37 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC is installed, So now what? jeffalanp <xylotex@h... 2003-02-08 11:15:53 UTC Re: EMC is installed, So now what? Dave Kowalczyk <dkowalcz@d... 2003-02-08 22:34:15 UTC Re: EMC is installed, So now what?