CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2

Posted by Ray Henry
on 2003-03-03 16:24:46 UTC
Hi Asim

This will quickly get tangent to the CAD_CAM... list objectives and I'll
owe list mom another feeding at NAMES. The List emc@... would be
more appropriate. You can learn how to sign up for that list by looking
at

http://www.linuxcnc.org/EMC-list.html

Since you've started reading Tcl/Tk take a look at emc/src/emcio/tkio.
The NML tool stuff is all in there in fairly readable form. There is
also a writeup on it in the emc documents folder at sourceforge. It's in
documents/lyx/emc_source.lyx. If you need a pdf or plain text let me
know off list.

One of the first tasks will be to figure out the logical sequence of the
tool changer that you have. Below is a preliminary version of such a
sequence for an older Mazak vertical.

A tool path from the spindle to the pocket will probably include each of
the following motions.  I'll call the dual arm that grabs tools from the
spindle the transfer arm and the intermediate pocket between the transfer
arm and the carousel the knuckle.

Prep new tool
1 - rotate carousel to next tool
2 - clamp knuckle on back of tool holder
3 - slide knuckle forward to remove tool from carousel
4 - rotate knuckle so tool points down

Tool Change
1 - orient the spindle
2 - rotate the transfer arm 45 degrees
        so that it grabs the old tool in the spindle
        and new tool in knuckle
3 - releast both tools
4 - lower the transfer arm to clear tool holder
5 - rotate the transfer arm 180 degrees
6 - raise the transfer arm to place new tool in spindle
        and old tool in knuckle
7 - lock new tool in spindle and
        clamp knuckle on old tool holder
9 - rotate transfer arm -45 degrees to resting position
10 - rotate knuckle to allign with carousel
11 - rotate carousel to pocket for old tool
12 - slide knuckle into carousel position
13 - release old tool

Hope this helps

Ray

>    From: "Asim Khan <asimtec@...>" <asimtec@...>
> Subject: Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2
>
> I'd say thanks to Jon and Ray Henry for their replies
> This linux platform is very new for me, from the programming aspects.
> I've experience of programming in C,assembly, java and vb on windows
> and 8051 platforms
> I have just started diging into tcl/tk, and have started to undertand
> makefiles and their use.
> I'd request people to guide me what should be my path in learning
> to program and cutomize EMC. my target at the moment is to implement
> the tool changer for emc
>
> Best regards
> @sim

Discussion Thread

Asim Khan <asimtec@y... 2003-02-24 07:19:39 UTC TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Jon Elson 2003-02-24 10:23:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Asim Khan <asimtec@y... 2003-02-26 21:50:50 UTC Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Ray Henry 2003-02-27 11:54:19 UTC Re: Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Asim Khan <asimtec@y... 2003-03-03 07:03:43 UTC Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2 Ray Henry 2003-03-03 16:24:46 UTC Re: Re: TOOL CHANGER , EMC AND STG2