CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: GCode Optimizer?

Posted by caudlet
on 2003-03-09 09:46:02 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel J. Statman"
<titanium@c...> wrote:
> Not sure if this will help you or not, but Vector has an option
called
> "reorganize" that takes any selected toolpath and creates the
shortest
> machining pathway around the selected geometry. You could import
your DXF
> files into Vector, and it can spit out the code. What program are
you using
> to create your toolpaths?
>
> Daniel J. Statman, Statman Designs
> www.statmandesigns.com
> dan.statman@r...

I am doing basic design in Corel (vector graphics) then using an
older version of ArtCam to generate the gcode. I avoid DXF if
possible since it will not export bezier curves/arcs except as a
series of small line segments. My gcode files are all setup so each
tool size has a different cut file so an optimize at the g-code level
would be great since it would optimize the cuts for each tool.

I can pull the file into a signcutting software package and optimise
(re-order ) the vectors. For the decorative routing I am doing, the
ArtCam package seems to be the easiest to use. One feature I use a
lot is the ability to logically "NOR" a group of vectors. If you
have a closed vector inside of another closed vector and are doing a
recessed feature, it leaves the inside vectors uncut (islands). I
can do real complex carvings simply by knowing how to group the
vectors. The one thing that really helps is the 3D isometric
rendered view of the finished object (with lighting) that really
shows you what you are going to get. I don't know if any of the
other packages I can afford offer that feature.

Now, if I can just optimize the toolpath so the silly machine doesn't
spend all of its time sig-saging across the landscape!

Discussion Thread

caudlet 2003-03-09 08:47:13 UTC GCode Optimizer? Daniel J. Statman 2003-03-09 09:09:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] GCode Optimizer? caudlet 2003-03-09 09:44:33 UTC Re: GCode Optimizer? caudlet 2003-03-09 09:46:02 UTC Re: GCode Optimizer? Fred Smith 2003-03-09 10:44:09 UTC Re: GCode Optimizer? Tim Goldstein 2003-03-09 11:02:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: GCode Optimizer? Fred Smith 2003-03-09 13:18:53 UTC Re: GCode Optimizer? CL 2003-03-09 18:43:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: GCode Optimizer?