CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gcode optimization (rethinking>>>)

Posted by CL
on 2003-03-10 09:12:59 UTC
caudlet wrote:

>(snip)
>
>So, if I build a DXF file and export it, then does Ace Converter just
>give g-code or will it reformat the DXF file (optimize it) so I could
>import it into my CAM program?

I'm not sure if ACE allows you any "optimizations" at all.....
I can however describe to you how the DXF import function in FLASHCUT
does allow for some form of "Optimization" on their DXF Import. There is
a checkbox for this, so you can use it as one sees fit. When selected,
It will simply "re-Order" the DXF file and assemble it into a G-code
file, working from the Zero point out, closest possible path first, one
at a time, moving further out as it goes. In this regard, there is some
"optimization" and indeed it rearranges the DXF files order on import.

Still, it will not allow you to alter directions, or Specify Order such
in the case where you need to pocket a hole then move to a perimiter cut..

To specify Order of cut, when one is stuck with using a DXF converter,
You will need to Export "selected" parts of your drawing, then "import"
the separate DXF files one at a time into the converter. Then "merge"
the saved G-code onto one file in the order you are looking for. This is
not all that difficult to do with a inexpensive editor and a little
forethought of file names as you make the individual code files....

I do not think you will find any "automatic" DXF to G-converter to do
anymore than that. The nearest options I can think of is using a CAM
only Proggy like DesKam, but, you will still need to go thru and
manually do all the sequencing work. Not much available beyond what is
already built into a good Cad/Cam program.

I realize your question asked about "rearanging" the DXF file, THEN
importing that to your Cam program. You would only be able to import a
G-code file under this method.....

I'm not sure if you ever tried the DXF import that is included with the
FC demo... If not, and it might seem better than your current options,
Download the demo and try it. ( you may need to download the "live"
version... I do not know how the demo is being compiled at the moment)

You could also try the one in Mach1. Maybe -someone- will comment on how
that one works as it is gaining popularity.

My simple thoughts,
Chris L

Discussion Thread

Mark 2003-03-09 20:52:00 UTC Gcode optimization forumtvm 2003-03-09 21:26:23 UTC Re: Gcode optimization RichD 2003-03-09 22:04:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gcode optimization RichD 2003-03-09 22:09:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gcode optimization Tim Goldstein 2003-03-09 22:17:03 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gcode optimization caudlet 2003-03-10 06:21:03 UTC Re: Gcode optimization (rethinking>>>) Mark Thomas 2003-03-10 06:58:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gcode optimization (rethinking>>>) stevenson_engineers 2003-03-10 07:08:23 UTC Re: Gcode optimization (rethinking>>>) caudlet 2003-03-10 07:25:20 UTC Re: Gcode optimization (rethinking>>>) CL 2003-03-10 09:12:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gcode optimization (rethinking>>>)