CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits.

Posted by CL
on 2003-03-19 10:58:41 UTC
Mina Aboul Saad wrote:

>Hi group,
>
>I was wondering about the exact points of difference between Hobbyist and
>professional retrofits.

I'm going to imply that in the past, *Cost* factored into a large part
of something being a "hobby" level or a "professional" level. CNC and
motion controls that did a lot, *costed* a lot. This line has "blurred"
substantially over the past few years. Control developers and Retrofits
have become more and more powerful for an incredible amount less in
expendatures. One does not have to look past the various levels of
economical control software available. CNCPlayer, KCam, Master5,
TurboCNC, all represent some very inexpensive control options.

Beyond that, we all look towards the development of Mach1, where for
really a minimal cost, will do (can do) things controls costing even
thousands more may not have been able to do in the not so distant past.

>I've been following this group for months, and I think some of the mentioned
>projects are really impressive, so what do professional people do more???

It seems the hobbiests might take a little more time with their
projects, and for a certain they can get a little more creative in
finding a workaround to accomplish their goals because they do not have
a "labor rate" and time factor hanging over their head.

Chris L

Discussion Thread

Mina Aboul Saad 2003-03-19 03:49:55 UTC Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. Hoyt McKagen 2003-03-19 04:13:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. Jon Elson 2003-03-19 10:05:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. JanRwl@A... 2003-03-19 10:29:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. JanRwl@A... 2003-03-19 10:38:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. CL 2003-03-19 10:58:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. turbulatordude 2003-03-19 16:39:20 UTC Re: Hobbyist vs professional retrofits.