CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Hobbyist vs professional retrofits.

on 2003-03-19 16:39:20 UTC
Impressive, quality retrofits is a matter of dedication and desire on
the person. I think the lack of photos on here is because the great
ones make the rest of us feel like ours in not really showy enough to
display.

I looked at a Series II Bridgeport a couple weeks ago, it was
replaced by a milling center. the $300.000 milling center added a
tool changer amoung other things. The Bridgeprot was on the line up
until it got unplugged.

That went to a guy with a full machine shop for about 5 grand.

That unit had chrome ways that looked perfect.

A hobbiest will do parts for friends, sell some, fix the mower, do
engine work or whatever, pretty much like a job shop, but not charge
as much, and do lots of 'government' jobs. I know a guy that spent
about 3 hours making an arbor for his drill chuck. saved about $3.00

There are some 'hobbisests' in here that spent the bucks and bought
NEW Haas milling centers. Seems the difference between men and boys
is the price of their toys ?

Professional is in it strictly for the bucks.

I am not sure the difference as regards this list because there are
more than a few professionals on here.

Dave

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mina Aboul Saad"
<minaf@l...> wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I was wondering about the exact points of difference between
Hobbyist and
> professional retrofits.
> I've been following this group for months, and I think some of the
mentioned
> projects are really impressive, so what do professional people do
more???

Discussion Thread

Mina Aboul Saad 2003-03-19 03:49:55 UTC Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. Hoyt McKagen 2003-03-19 04:13:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. Jon Elson 2003-03-19 10:05:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. JanRwl@A... 2003-03-19 10:29:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. JanRwl@A... 2003-03-19 10:38:12 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. CL 2003-03-19 10:58:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hobbyist vs professional retrofits. turbulatordude 2003-03-19 16:39:20 UTC Re: Hobbyist vs professional retrofits.