CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question

Posted by gglines1
on 2003-03-29 18:11:43 UTC
Alan,

Thanks, I do use the lower left corner because that matches how I
usually measure locations on parts from drawings.

Do you use the origin point at the center of the spindle or the edge
of the cutter when writing G-code?

I purchased Dolphin Partmaster/CAD but haven't looked at it much so
I don't know if it has cutter compensation. I'm trying to learn to
program directly in G-code first as a base, then I thought I would
tackle the huge CAD learning curve.

Thanks,

George

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV
<KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> For normal coordinate location (for us hobbyists), the LL corner
is a
> good choice. This is quite often the way the part is drawn.
> Occasionally, as for cylinder end covers, the center works out
good.
> I'd start out at the LL corner. If necessary, the other corners
can be
> used as well. If I use my vice aligned with the Y axis, I like to
touch
> off on the fixed jaw, which is aligned with the X axis, and in the
> rear. Just don't forget which axis the drawing is made to. Bad
things
> happen if the coordinate "frames" don't match!
>
> For tool radius compensation, first draw the part outline, then an
> "offset" around the part is drawn. Programs like Vector CAD/CAM or
> similar make this easy. Perhaps your CAD software has this. The
offset
> should be 1/2 the dia of the tool.
>
> HTH
>
> Alan KM6VV
>

> gglines1 wrote:
> >
> > I'm just starting to CNC program in G-codes. I'm uing MillMaster
> > Pro for Windows by Microkinetics on a mill/drill.
> >
> > My software doesn't have tool radius compensation and I'm looking
> > for advice on how to approach programming toolpaths. I hope I
can
> > explain this clearly. I'm finding calculating the cutter
waypoints
> > tough.
> >
> > Should I CENTER the spindle on the workpiece origin (0,0) or the
> > EDGE of the end mill on the workpiece origin 0,0? For example,
let's
> > say I have a 1" x 1" (I'll ignore Z) workpiece with a 3/4" end
> > mill. If I set the center of the spindle (using absolute mode)
on

wanliker@a..., timg@k...
> > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... [Moderators]
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members
are there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO
EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

gglines1 2003-03-29 01:07:43 UTC Newbie: G Code Programming Question gdzero 2003-03-29 03:50:53 UTC Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-03-29 09:37:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie: G Code Programming Question gglines1 2003-03-29 18:11:29 UTC Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question gglines1 2003-03-29 18:11:43 UTC Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-03-29 20:04:23 UTC Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question Raymond Heckert 2003-03-30 18:55:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie: G Code Programming Question