CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie: G Code Programming Question

on 2003-03-29 09:37:41 UTC
Hi George,

For normal coordinate location (for us hobbyists), the LL corner is a
good choice. This is quite often the way the part is drawn.
Occasionally, as for cylinder end covers, the center works out good.
I'd start out at the LL corner. If necessary, the other corners can be
used as well. If I use my vice aligned with the Y axis, I like to touch
off on the fixed jaw, which is aligned with the X axis, and in the
rear. Just don't forget which axis the drawing is made to. Bad things
happen if the coordinate "frames" don't match!

For tool radius compensation, first draw the part outline, then an
"offset" around the part is drawn. Programs like Vector CAD/CAM or
similar make this easy. Perhaps your CAD software has this. The offset
should be 1/2 the dia of the tool.

HTH

Alan KM6VV