CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question

on 2003-03-29 20:04:23 UTC
Hi George,

I believe Dolphin draws the offsets needed for toolpaths on command!

The origin you want to be a convenient point on the part (stock). a
rectangular part, or in fact any part where edges are readily available,
it is usually referenced from a pair of edges.

So I pick up the left edge, and the front edge with my edge finder
(LL). If the part has no convenient edges (circular part), then the
center of the circle can be used. You can find the center of a hole (or
a rod) with an edge finder as well.

There are no hard and fast rules! Use whatever edges are convenient!
It's a good idea, however, to pick edges or reference points that won't
be machined off!

OK, let's suppose we have a rectangular piece of stock ( a 1/4" plate)
that we want to finish to size. We'll use the existing LL corner the
origin. First align the left edge square to the X axis. We'll select a
point, say .020", in from the LL corner (in from Y as well), to allow us
to take a finishing cut on the left and front edges. The CAD program
will run the cutter along the tool path, which is offset "outside" the
intended part. The "inside edge" of the cutter thus follows the edge we
want to cut (along X = 0 and Y = 0, then along X = 1 and Y = 1).

The CAD/CAM program does this for us very nicely! If we write the code
by hand, we would have to constantly add or subtract 1/2 the tool
diameter, to get it to follow the tool path. Lay out the square on the
CAD program, LL at 0,0 (origin). first draw a LARGER box outside the
desired square, by 1/2 the tool diameter. Then as you'll notice in the
white paper, we "round" the corners. This becomes our tool path.
Visualize moving a circle around this path. See how it swings around
the corners. The "inside" egde of this circle (cutter) will follow the
desired square.

See my "CNC for hobbyists" paper in the list's files section.

Under the Drawing heading, there is an example of cutting a square.

To summarize, draw the part outline, draw a tool path, then "program"
the tool path!

Have fun!

HTH

Alan KM6VV