CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie: G Code Programming Question

on 2003-03-30 18:55:47 UTC
Do whatever's easiest for you! Just remember to do it consistently, or
else you'll screw-up some day. If I'm making more than one part, I'll put
a stock-stop on the vise or table, then slide the workpiece up against it,
clamp, then indicate the 'upper' R.H. corner of the part for X0,Y0. (Note,
all part dimensions from that point will be negative, i.e. in the third
quadrant). If you have access to a good, inexpensive Cad program (such as
DesignCAD) just draw the part, then make a parallel line around the cutting
path equal to the cutter's radius. Then, by using the Co-Ordinate
dimensioning feature, you can generate all the X,Y points, and then follow
*that* path. Cutter Comp is really great for using flute-sharpened
endmills, or for 'sneaking up' on a critical surface. It certainly saves a
lot of work.

RayHex

----------
> From: gglines1 <gglines@...>
>
> My software doesn't have tool radius compensation and I'm looking
> for advice on how to approach programming toolpaths. I hope I can
> explain this clearly. I'm finding calculating the cutter waypoints
> tough.
>
> Should I CENTER the spindle on the workpiece origin (0,0) or the
> EDGE of the end mill on the workpiece origin 0,0? For example, let's
> say I have a 1" x 1" (I'll ignore Z) workpiece with a 3/4" end
> mill. If I set the center of the spindle (using absolute mode) on
> 0,0 (front left corner of workpiece), then I have to reposition the
> spindle by -.375 in both X and Y or half the distance of the cutter
> to get to the edge of the workpiece. The second way I could do it
> is to move the cutter to X-.375 Y-3.75 and then initalize that point
> as the origin (0,0).
>
> Any suggestions on which way to approach this?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> George

Discussion Thread

gglines1 2003-03-29 01:07:43 UTC Newbie: G Code Programming Question gdzero 2003-03-29 03:50:53 UTC Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-03-29 09:37:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie: G Code Programming Question gglines1 2003-03-29 18:11:29 UTC Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question gglines1 2003-03-29 18:11:43 UTC Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question Alan Marconett KM6VV 2003-03-29 20:04:23 UTC Re: Newbie: G Code Programming Question Raymond Heckert 2003-03-30 18:55:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Newbie: G Code Programming Question