CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: home vs. industrial PC..

Posted by Jeff Goldberg
on 2003-03-30 07:20:59 UTC
After looking at the insides of PC's and servers for over twenty years I'll
give you the short for of observations:

1) What is important: Motherboard has to be capable, but not overly fancy
(you are not playing games and extra enhancements can get in the way as
extra drivers are loaded)

2) Chassis should be sturdy, have good cooling (real important) and enough
expansion capability for reasonable system expansion. It should be able to
withstand a reasonable amount of abuse or vibration for the location you are
putting it in.

3) Good CPU cooling. Most cost effective CPU speed is one or two clicks
down from highest available. Good dirt filters on fan.

4) More ram than you think you need.

5) If you don't build PC's for a living, buy a reputable name brand
(HP/Compaq, IBM, Dell) and let them have the R&D and support headaches. It
is not worth it to save money by buying a "white box" store built computer
unless you want to become very close to your computers ;) Name brands may
cost a little more and be a little more conservative in design, but they
will work right out of the box and will have a tech support guy available if
you need one. You should be building routers, not PC's.

6) You will get a better chassis design (better cooling) with a
microcomputer sold by the manufacturer as a file server than with one
designated as a personal computer. Down side is they are larger, cost more
and may not be supported by their manufacturer officially for client level
operating system software. I would recommend considering the low end of
their file server lines if you can justify the budget (they still will cost
less than your industrial equipment).

7) If you use a PC, rather than a file server, add an additional fan to
compensate for dirty filters. CLEAN THE FILTERS REGULARLY! Keep inside of
PC clean.

Unless you are subjecting the PC to constant vibration, a ruggedized
enclosure is probably not warranted. Unless you are enclosing it in a
cabinet, your biggest enemy is dirt and dust, which will clog filters and
cause overheating. If you place PC inside of a cabinet, make sure you keep
a flow of filtered air moving through the cabinet to get rid of the heat.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeffrey Goldberg, President

Washington Computer Services
140 58th Street - Suite 8F
Brooklyn, N.Y. 11220

Tel: (718) 491-6100
Fax: (718) 765-1973
email: jeff@...

If you can describe what you want your network to do,
We can design it, install it, and get it working
Always with an eye to exceeding your expectations