CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] home vs. industrial PC..

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2003-03-30 08:30:11 UTC
Hi Jens:
Have a look at what Light Machines is using for their PC.
Defiance (a now defunct competitor to LM) used a real basic Office Depot
style Pentium
and stuck a proprietary motion control board in.
I always considered it to be a "serious machine", and so does everyone who
comes into my shop.
I've run my Defiance under horrendous conditions for over 4 years now, and
never even a burp from it.
Commodity PC's are so cheap now that it's hard to emotionally justify going
with the industrial stuff.
Just as an example...I bought a Haas Minimill, and had a floppy drive put in
it...600 bucks for the drive.
I damned near cr***ed my pants, not at the price , but at the PERCEPTION
that I was being ripped off.
It took a couple of calls to Haas to calm me back down.
Put a big disclaimer on the unit when you sell it advising people that they
need to keep it clean on the inside, and you're in business.
Doing ALL that it takes to keep the dust out reliably is a fools hope, and I
don't believe the other concerns about robustness are really valid unless
you intend to mount the computer directly onto the machine frame without
isolation mounts, and then hog all day with big carbide facemills.
Cheers

Marcus