CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: G201s repaired, now to bring up machine

on 2003-04-09 14:05:11 UTC
Chris,

This is really important. Having the same set of MOSFETs blow up in
four seperate drives is a dead give away that there is a problem with
the motor. The odds against that happening randomly are 1:256.

Your motor may have a shorted turn. Shorted turns kill drives and
usually cannot be detected with an ohmmeter.

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Chris Brick <cbrick@t...>
wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've repaired two of my dead G201s, thanks to Mariss and others on
this
> list.
>
> It seems that the same pair of FETS blew on all 4 G201s. This is
the
> pair that the capacitor attaches to on the top of the board. Is
this
> phase weaker than others or is this a sign of problems somewhere
else.
> Three separate motors and two sets of motor wires have been
connected
> when failure has occurred. I'd doubt that all three of my motors
are
> damaged in the same exact manner, especially with the coils all
reading
> the same on the ohm meter.
>
> In order to avoid blowing things up again, I'm hoping to put some
things
> in place to help keep the current down while I focus on finding the
> problems.
>
> Last night I checked the motors with an ohm meter and all the
windings
> read 1.2Ohms. When I turn the motor they change and then come back
> 1.2 and hold. I checked the cables and connectors for
shorts/breaks and
> all are fine. I'd like to limit current between the motors and
Geckos.
> Back when I had a brain, I remember doing this with resistors. Is
this
> still the preferred method?
>
> I've got a 24V @16A switching PS with a 3700uF 450V cap I've been
using
> for bench testing. I'm wondering if I should use this power supply
for
> initial testing once I get the machine back together? Is the
3700uF cap
> going to give me enough leeway for the current to catch up when I
start
> moving motors? I've been using the 57.6vdc transformer/bridge/cap
combo
> for all testing and part smoking sessions in the past few weeks.
I'm
> hoping the 24V will help minimize any more damage if things are
still
> not working correctly.
>
> Thanks again for all the help. I'm continually amazed at the level
of
> knowledge and patience exhibited on this list.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

Discussion Thread

Chris Brick 2003-04-09 12:53:27 UTC G201s repaired, now to bring up machine Mariss Freimanis 2003-04-09 14:05:11 UTC Re: G201s repaired, now to bring up machine Chris Brick 2003-04-09 14:14:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: G201s repaired, now to bring up machine jmkasunich 2003-04-10 13:42:07 UTC Re: G201s repaired, now to bring up machine Chris Brick 2003-04-10 14:58:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: G201s repaired, now to bring up machine