CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Where to Find ? - sticcky material for parts holding

Posted by Chris L
on 2003-04-30 21:29:26 UTC
turbulatordude wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>Seems router mats are the first thing I would think about.

Ya but,

This sticky mat has NO holes, does NOT breath at all. It is not really
even sticky per say... Just smooth and "tacky" to flat smooth materials.
No vacuum required. Half of the "stiction" is caused by the lack of air
between the item and the material, just like sticking (twisting) two
precision gauge blocks together. If you place down a typical brass or
stainless plate, you often, in fact almost always must use a pointed
object to gently pry it loose as your fingernails are not strong enough.
It's great stuff, Just not at near $300+ per 2' square.

If one was to place a billion microholes in it and combine it with
vacuum, I think it would have an incredible holding power for much
larger objects.

The piece I have has a 3M "Stamark" laminating adhesive identification
on the Premask for the self adhesive backing, but that does little to id
the "rubber". That is just an adhesive tape.

When it gets dirty, dusty and seems to have lost its grip, you just take
a rag and some glass cleaner, scrub it up, dry it off, and it is ready
to "grab" like crazy all oer again.

This has got to be something common to another field/market,
somewhere.... I doubt 3m(if that is who makes it) is just cranking out a
few hundred feet per year just for the Engraving machine market, most of
those guys have avoided it because of cost anyhow. It is used somewhere
else..

>that and I wanted to make sure we could find this post in the
>archives. there has been a rash of non intelegable subject lines
>lately, maybe Tim or bill could ask us all to be a little more
>accurate. with 50,000 posts, it sucks to find 'simple question'
>and 'newbie question' 10,000 times.

Oh boy......more rules. Maybe will will need to have all subject lines
approved in case someone spells "sticcky" rather than "Sticky" ? :-)

It is a tough world out there, I just take it on as it comes...
Fortunately, I selected to receive all of the messages via E-mail since
I subscribed. I have them all and they are local. With Mozilla Search
tools, you can search specifically for just about anything anywhere -
and find it. I do not have such results with Yahoo's (useless) search.

Chris L

Discussion Thread

Chris L 2003-04-30 18:11:45 UTC Where to Find ? echnidna 2003-04-30 18:36:49 UTC Re: Where to Find ? turbulatordude 2003-04-30 19:46:54 UTC Re: Where to Find ? - sticcky material for parts holding Chris L 2003-04-30 21:29:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Where to Find ? - sticcky material for parts holding Matt Shaver 2003-04-30 21:52:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Where to Find ? - sticcky material for parts holding Jon Elson 2003-04-30 22:02:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Where to Find ? Randy Gordon-Gilmore 2003-04-30 22:27:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Where to Find ? - sticcky material for parts holding Ross 2003-05-01 08:29:49 UTC Re: Where to Find ? - sticcky material for parts holding Dan Dunn 2003-05-01 15:17:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Where to Find ? CL 2003-05-01 19:16:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Where to Find ? - sticcky material for parts holding