CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Need help.

Posted by caudlet
on 2003-05-08 17:41:57 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Derrick" <slick_23_00@y...>
wrote:
> My project goal.
>
> Be able to cut up 1/2" pine, and up to 1/4" plywood.
> Size, about 20" X 48"
>
> This is where it gets fun, i'm not sure where to start. I checked
> out my web sites, and have a good idea of the componets involved. I
> was thinking about using a roto zip, or similiar tool for the
> cutting unit. I have some idea's on the basic mechanics. But not
> sure what i'll need in the line of stepper motor size? What
cutting
> speeds will i be able to atttain? And the big one, cost... I have
> acess to all the tools that would be needed to build a project like
> this, just need some direction.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Derrick: Since you are at the stage you are at (the beginning) it
might be worth the expense to buy some plans for your machine. You
will probably save the cost of the plans by not buying the wrong
stuff the first time. You can choose to follow the mechanical plans
exactly or study other home built units and take the best ideas. One
thing a good set of plans will have is a parts list with pricing.
You can set that as worst case (the most money you will spend) and
then check around to see if there are any deals to save money.
Several of the list members have posted stuff for sale. By careful
scrounging and patience you can save anywhere from 20 to 50%.

Contact list member Bob Campbell (www.campbelldesigns.com) ; I'm not
sure but he may sell plans. There are some others as well. Once you
have a chance to study a good set of plans then you can start to ask
specific questions like: "should I use steppers or servos" and other
things that really get the list's juices flowing ! (;-).

At this stage of the game there are so many options in front of you I
am afraid you might become more confused than enlightened. It's kind
of like saying: "I think I would like to build my own house, what
should I do?" We might be talking about what kind of bathroom
appliances you should look at and you don't have an idea where you
are going to put the foundation.

Then there is software. Just that subject alone has generated
thousands of posts on this list.

All that being said, the list members stand ready to help you if you
want to build a machine by consensus! We will have your head
spinning in no time!

Discussion Thread

Derrick 2003-05-08 14:03:10 UTC Need help. echnidna 2003-05-08 17:11:39 UTC Re: Need help. caudlet 2003-05-08 17:41:57 UTC Re: Need help. Robert Campbell 2003-05-08 20:06:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need help. Chris 2003-05-08 21:04:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need help. Ross 2003-05-08 22:51:39 UTC Re: Need help. Chris 2003-05-09 07:27:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need help.