CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Touch Screen Moniters with Flashcut?

on 2003-05-13 18:05:20 UTC
Hi patrick

Like everything else in life there are trade offs. The biggest
problem with touch screens is the total lack of tactile feedback. You
really have to be looking directly at the screens to use them
effectively. Also these screens do not completely eliminate the need
for hardware pushbuttons, but a massive reduction is none the less useful.

There are specific issues to be concerned with. There are many
technologies used to make the touch surfaces, some of these only work
reliably with bare fingers. Oil is not a problem if the touch screens
are housed in industrial cases, but just make sure they are oil tight.
Touch screens often tie up a RS232 port on your machine, this may be a
problem if you need that port. Touch screens can fail in ways that
can be difficult to diagnose or catch you off gaurd, so safety related
behaviours should be handled carefully possibly with other hardware.
Effective and accurate software takes time to program in some instance
alternative hardware is much cheaper if software development costs are
factored in. Touch screens are a human factors issue, you can not
effectively enter data via a touch screen.

The positive things are a graphical displays at the machine. That
graphical display can offer up unlimited debug infromation if you have
the time to implement the info. Very compact machine controls can be
obtained by using screens with intgrated CPUs.

Dave