CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] FlashcurCNC and close loop

Posted by Chris L
on 2003-05-22 19:16:15 UTC
George,
To my knowledge, there is no means to run steppers in a "closed loop"
with current versions of Flashcut. It is the software portion that would
monitor the encoders that doe not exist in Flashcut. At best, you will
be able to run servo drivers and servo motors, and let the drivers
"dictate" via a signal if the location it is expected to be is lost.
Many individuals have commented on how happy they are with this type of
Servo "control".

Sounds like a really good deal however from MiniTech....

Just so you know, there are plenty of fellows running Steppers with
Flashcut (myself included) that do not have any real reasons to have the
additional bulk of the feedback or the "closed loop". A properly
designed Stepper System will run day in and day out without losing
position. Plain and simple.

In fact, some of the "lower budget" Stepper controls that actually used
feedback, have fallen behind in their technology and capability. So, I'd
talk to some users before jarring loose any cash. I feel they have not
kept pace with software improvements equal to what others now offer for
less. It is coming down to "bang for the buck" in this market. That is
why some of the new windows based PC stuff is getting all the attention.
LOTS of BANG !

In regards your Gecko's though, Make sure you check with Flashcut on the
setting necessary to run them properly if you go that route. There were
some things that made the Gecko a little trickier to 'properly' follow
the signals from the PC, but I know that has been worked out.
(timing/edge situation).

Hope things work out for you,
Chris L