CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash

on 2003-05-26 12:24:10 UTC
Hi Im not familar with the Vertex system however you could consider
junking the worm wheel and fitting an adjustable zero backlash unit
(ie the worm wheel is split down the middle). These can be costly
but this depends on the size needed and how much you want to cut any
backlash out.
Barry

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Mawson"
<andrew@m...> wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...>
wrote:

> > fuddham wrote:
> >
> > >I have converted my 6" Vertex rotary table to CNC. What is the
> best
> > >way to minimize backlash? What is the typical amount of the
> backlash
> > >on these tables? Also, has anyone used some sort of indexing
> (rotary
> > >table) to mount several vises on and index the vises to do
several
> > >parts with the current tool instead of several tool changes for
> just
> > >one part then start all over again?
> > >

> > Assuming the backlash is between the worm and the wormwheel that
> drives
> > the table, there is a limit to what you can do. First, you may
> have a
> > mechanism
> > to adjust the space between the worm and the wormwheel. Some
units
> have
> > eccentric bushings on the worm that allow the engagement to be
> adjusted.
> > If not, it may be possible to make new eccentric bushings. But,
> some worms
> > may be cut in such a fashion that you can't reduce the backlash
> zero.
> > It may be possible to take a little material off the peak of the
> thread by
> > turning the worm on a lathe, to allow the threads to engage
deeper.
> > The high-end drives use a split worm, with some kind of mechanism
> > between the two halves to keep a preload on them.
> >
> > Jon
>
> fuddham,
>
> On my 4" Vertex I stripped it right down, cleaned out the road tar
> that they seem use as a lubricant, re-oiled it, and set the
eccentric
> bush so that I could just feel the high spot when turning by hand -

> this brought the backlash down to 'reasonable' but I haven't
measured
> what 'reasonable' is.
>
> I seem to remember it being suggested (?? by Tony Jeffree??) that
it
> is worth 'running in' by mounting it so the lathe or some other
power
> source turns the worm & wheel while meshed to bed them together.
This
> will take off the highspots and let you get a lower backlash
figure.
> Logically, as the running in progresses you should adjust the mesh
> closer - I suppose its a sort of lapping action.
>
> BTW I like your idea of multiple parts being processed while the
tool
> is still in.
>
> Andrew Mawson
> Bromley, Kent, UK

Discussion Thread

fuddham 2003-05-25 19:10:19 UTC Vertex Rotary Table Backlash Jon Elson 2003-05-25 22:53:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Vertex Rotary Table Backlash Andrew Mawson 2003-05-26 03:02:42 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash Jeff 2003-05-26 05:12:52 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash (What is the best table for CNC) Tim Goldstein 2003-05-26 09:20:57 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash (What is the best table for CNC) bazer_20002000 2003-05-26 12:24:10 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash alex 2003-05-26 12:33:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash stevenson_engineers 2003-05-26 13:10:19 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash (What is the best table for CNC) stevenson_engineers 2003-05-26 13:19:31 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash alex 2003-05-26 13:53:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash stevenson_engineers 2003-05-26 14:18:52 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash alex 2003-05-26 14:27:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash