CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash

on 2003-05-26 13:19:31 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "alex" <telecomt@t...> wrote:
> In this case, why not to build rotary table driven by the belt/chain
> directly from
> stepper, with no worm gear involved?
> Alex

Because you need the high worm ratio to prevent cutting forces
driving the table. Try turning a 10:1 gearbox the wrong way, it's not
that hard and to get a high enough ratio that would prevent run back
on chain or belt would be an enormous ratio and physically impossible
to fit in.
This is one application where the worm and wheel is ideal.
Backlash if not excessive shouldn't be a problem as you should always
go one way and the commercial units such as the Vetex are very good
in this respect. Far better than most of the home made gear we had to
put up with before the advent of this small affordable equipment.

John S.

But,
> > > some worms
> > > zero.
> > > thread by
> > deeper.

> > > fuddham,
> > >
> > > On my 4" Vertex I stripped it right down, cleaned out the road
tar
> > > that they seem use as a lubricant, re-oiled it, and set the
> > eccentric
> > > bush so that I could just feel the high spot when turning by
hand -

> > > this brought the backlash down to 'reasonable' but I haven't
> > measured
> > > what 'reasonable' is.
> > >
> > > I seem to remember it being suggested (?? by Tony Jeffree??)
that

wanliker@a...,
> timg@k...
> > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... [Moderators]
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

to be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY
POSTING THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Discussion Thread

fuddham 2003-05-25 19:10:19 UTC Vertex Rotary Table Backlash Jon Elson 2003-05-25 22:53:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Vertex Rotary Table Backlash Andrew Mawson 2003-05-26 03:02:42 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash Jeff 2003-05-26 05:12:52 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash (What is the best table for CNC) Tim Goldstein 2003-05-26 09:20:57 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash (What is the best table for CNC) bazer_20002000 2003-05-26 12:24:10 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash alex 2003-05-26 12:33:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash stevenson_engineers 2003-05-26 13:10:19 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash (What is the best table for CNC) stevenson_engineers 2003-05-26 13:19:31 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash alex 2003-05-26 13:53:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash stevenson_engineers 2003-05-26 14:18:52 UTC Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash alex 2003-05-26 14:27:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vertex Rotary Table Backlash