CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo-DRO advice sought

Posted by s g
on 2003-06-04 10:25:42 UTC
Thanks for the info folks!

However I am still a bit confused as I am a newbie to servo systems.....

Surely by having the encoder fixed to the table as opposed to being attached to the motors shaft this would completely eliminate backlash issues. The motor controller would be sent direction pulses which would turn the motor Anticlockwise /clockwise the encoder would feed a CNC program such as EMC position info, when the desired position is reached the motor stops. If the motor is geared in such a way (sun gears) the torque should be great enough to hold its position. If it looses its position this would be registered by the encoder (dro) which EMC will make adjustments for by sending the required info to the motor controller.

Am I missing something here being a newbie and all ?

BTW speed is not a crucial issue for my project.

TIA

SG

Chris Baugher <cbaugher_yahoo@...> wrote:On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Jon Elson wrote:

> >The encoder would be a digital dro ( the ones that are similar to
> >digital calipers but with mounting brackets) with an io connector.
> >(Any other idears welcome!)
>
> These units only update 2-4 times a second. That would allow precise
> movement of about 10 inches/hour.

Just a note, the imported scales can be set to update 50 times/second.
It's still too slow for much speed though, maybe 3 inches/minute. It
might be made to work if the controller knew where it's final position
should be (translate: understands G-code), then it could change the speed
of movement depending on how far it has left to go. Still not an easy
task.

> >Could this work?
> >
> No, it will be a total disaster.

Or at least very difficult and probably not worth the effort.

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... [Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if you have trouble.

NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
bill
List Mom
List Owner