CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo-DRO advice sought

paragon032003 wrote:

>I was thinking of using components from cheap electric battery
>operated screw drivers that employ sun gears to generate a fair
>amount of torque to the shaft.

any backlash in the system leads to instability in the control loops.
These units are probably much too slow for reasonable movement
on a machine.

>The encoder would be a digital dro ( the ones that are similar to
>digital calipers but with mounting brackets) with an io connector.
>(Any other idears welcome!)

These units only update 2-4 times a second. That would allow precise
movement of about 10 inches/hour.

>The software I was looking at would be Linux EMC.
>
>Ok ....
>By having the encoders (DRO's) mounted directly to the x y and z axis
>of the mill any movement would be recorded and relayed back to
>emc ....... This would eliminate backlash issues as the physical
>position of the table is taken as opposed to motor shaft position.

No, it corrects for backlash errors, but TOO LATE. The motor has to
rev up in a hurry to get to the other side of the backlash, then slow to
a crawl to take up the backlash. In the meantime, the table is free to
be pushed around by the cutting tool.

>Could this work?

No, it will be a total disaster.

>What problems would I encounter?

Probably more than just the ones I have mentioned.

paragon032003 2003-06-03 09:08:31 UTC Servo-DRO advice sought Jon Elson 2003-06-03 09:58:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo-DRO advice sought Chris Baugher 2003-06-03 16:29:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo-DRO advice sought Weyland 2003-06-03 20:19:04 UTC Greetings all over again~! s g 2003-06-04 10:25:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo-DRO advice sought Larry Ragan 2003-06-04 11:40:55 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo-DRO advice sought