CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine...

on 2003-07-06 05:30:39 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...>
>wrote:
> I would suggest you take a look at the Taig 2019CR mill. It is 12"
>of X
> with motor mounts factory attached. I think you will find it to be a
> beefier machine than the MaxNC with a lot more steel in it. I have
>no
> experience with the MaxNC products but have been told by those
>familiar
> with it that the anodizing is not very hard and wears off the slides
> quickly. I have also heard of motor mount problems with the MaxNC
>mill.
>
> I may be a little biased as I have been a loyal Sherline user for
>years
> and am also a Sherline dealer. I had a Taig lathe previously and was
> less than impressed. People kept telling me good things about the
>Taig
> mills, but I had never seen one in person. I just recently signed
>up as
> a Taig dealer because I have some customers that
> are interested in the mill. I just got in my first manual Taig mill
>and
> I am very impressed. It is a series piece of equipment. It does not
>have
> the look and polish of the Sherlines and unlike Sherline the CNC
> conversion is not an accessory you can buy. But if you know you
>want CNC
> from the get go and need more capacity than the Sherlines offer I
>think
> the Taigs will be a great choice.

At last Tim we have got you converted <bg>
True they do not have the polish of the sherline but you don't cut
metal with polish unless you have waaaay to much time.
As regards looks to me they look rugged and workmanlike which is what
you want in a tool.
I was under the impression you could buy the motor mounts which is
the main thing about a conversion as many want to source their own
motors either on stock, ebay or other suppliers.
I went the DIY route with mine as I wanted to get away from the
Prince Charles 'extened' look and daft as it sounds two pulleys and a
belt are cheaper than a decent coupling.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/taig7.jp
In fact there are six more pics, just swap the taig7 to taig1 etc.

The full CNC version is sold here in the UK as the Quantum CNC, most
of their sales are into the jewelry trade in Covent Garden, London.
They regularly sell batches of 20 at a time to this trade so they
must be well though off.

John S.

Discussion Thread

CrazyDudeII 2003-07-05 08:23:18 UTC Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine... Tim Goldstein 2003-07-05 08:40:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine... mmurray701 2003-07-05 09:23:29 UTC Re: Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine... turbulatordude 2003-07-05 10:21:25 UTC Re: Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine... Tim Goldstein 2003-07-05 11:06:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine... Charles Hixon 2003-07-05 11:49:22 UTC Re: Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine... ccq@x... 2003-07-05 14:34:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine... turbulatordude 2003-07-05 14:40:31 UTC Re: Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine... stevenson_engineers 2003-07-06 05:30:39 UTC Re: Hello! So would all of this hardware make a good machine...