CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: Need help with parallel port input design

Posted by Lloyd Leung
on 2003-09-15 14:10:27 UTC
Jeff,

I think an opto-isolator is overkill. I would suggest using a 7404 or 4069
hex inverter, to accomplish the same thing. Both are very cheap. Download
the PDF (google, "7404 pdf" or "4069 pdf") and see what pins are what.
You'll figure it out.

Use a 7805 voltage regulator to get the power from the 12V source down to 5V
as well. And to clean up the power, place a 10uF cap across the output and
ground after the 7805.

A resistor network of 10k ohm will help pull up the current to 5V as well.

Depending on how quickly you want this board, I would recommend Dean
Coullard's break out board. It's well made and clean, and simple.
http://members.shaw.ca/axxus/db1v20.htm . I asked him last week, he was out
of stock, but will be getting some in soon.

I bought one, and am very happy with it. It made things a lot easier to
wire up.

Cheers.
Lloyd,
Toronto