CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Need help with parallel port input design

Posted by washcomp
on 2003-09-15 15:29:25 UTC
Lloyd:

I actually use the same board on my other port. I bought an output
only 8 relay board for a second printer port (for MACH2) and would
like to add input functions to it. I figured someone must have the
circuit drawn up for opto's already.

Regards,
Jeff

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Lloyd Leung" <lloyd@l...>
wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> I think an opto-isolator is overkill. I would suggest using a 7404
or 4069
> hex inverter, to accomplish the same thing. Both are very cheap.
Download
> the PDF (google, "7404 pdf" or "4069 pdf") and see what pins are
what.
> You'll figure it out.
>
> Use a 7805 voltage regulator to get the power from the 12V source
down to 5V
> as well. And to clean up the power, place a 10uF cap across the
output and
> ground after the 7805.
>
> A resistor network of 10k ohm will help pull up the current to 5V
as well.

> Depending on how quickly you want this board, I would recommend Dean
> Coullard's break out board. It's well made and clean, and simple.
> http://members.shaw.ca/axxus/db1v20.htm . I asked him last week,
he was out
> of stock, but will be getting some in soon.
>

> I bought one, and am very happy with it. It made things a lot
easier to
> wire up.
>

> Cheers.
> Lloyd,
> Toronto

I'll
> also have to provide some resistors? What's the easiest way to do
> this? I looked at the Digikey catalog and they offer about 4
million
> opto-isolators of all types, but I'm kinda clueless about which to
> use or an actual circuit to make use of the right one. Any help
> would be appreciated. I've bought an 8 port parallel relay board
and
> figure I can retrofit this to the input pins (they are currently
not
> connected on the relay board, but it has a 12v DC supply built on).
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Jeff

Discussion Thread

washcomp 2003-09-15 13:49:59 UTC Need help with parallel port input design Lloyd Leung 2003-09-15 14:10:27 UTC RE: Need help with parallel port input design washcomp 2003-09-15 15:29:25 UTC Re: Need help with parallel port input design washcomp 2003-09-15 15:45:38 UTC Re: Need help with parallel port input design-follow up question Damon 2003-09-15 18:33:31 UTC Re: Need help with parallel port input design-follow up question grantfair2001 2003-09-15 19:17:55 UTC Re: Need help with parallel port input design Lloyd Leung 2003-09-15 21:05:04 UTC RE: Need help with parallel port input design grantfair2001 2003-09-15 23:23:38 UTC Re: Need help with parallel port input design Lloyd Leung 2003-09-16 05:55:43 UTC RE: Need help with parallel port input design-follow up question