CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Vexta 5 phase drive hookup

Posted by jm_fong
on 2003-10-21 07:42:28 UTC
Hi Jon,

I found a hookup diagram that converts 10 wire Berger Lahr to 10
wire Vexta color code. From there I was able to figure out which
sequence to hookup to the 5 terminals on the driver. I can step the
motor CCW, but not CW. The H.off input works, that disables CCW
input if I enable it. My guess is the CW has a bad opto chip. It was
a free ebay find so loss but some time spent on the bench. The TIM
has an LED and that seems to light up every 5 pulses like you say.

This one goes into the junk pile.

Thanks,

Jim.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:

> jm_fong wrote:
>
> >Does anyone have a manual or stepper hookup info for a Super
Vexta
> >UDX5107 5phase driver? This is an older drive that I have not
been
> >able to find any info on the Vexta/Oriental motor web site or
> >Google. I did find a spec sheet once but it was in japanese,
can't
> >locate that anymore.
> >
> >The stepper drive is a Berger Lahr RDM599/50 with 10wires.
1.15Amps
> >3.2ohm .72deg Nema34. No torque rating listed on nameplate.
> >
> >I assume the CW and CCW inputs are Phase Type signals. Is this
> >correct?
> >
> No, they are step forward and step reverse signals. It only takes
one chip
> to gate the step pulse to either CW or CCW. These should be opto-
coupler
> inputs, so you can hook the + to +5 V with a series resistor, and
the - to
> the output of the gate chip that is splitting the step pulses. I
think
> a 74LS00
> would do a good job of this.
>
> > If so I can easily hook up a couple of TTL chips or GAL/PLD
> >to convert step/dir to phase.
> >
> >I also need info on hooking up the 10 stepper wires to the 5
motor
> >inputs in the correct sequence.
> >
> >The terminal strip on the Vexta drive is listed as follows
> >
> >Screw Terminal#
> >1 +CW
> >2 -CW
> >3 +CCW
> >4 -CCW
> >5 + H.OFF
> >6 -H.OFF
> >7 TIM
> >8 O.H.
> >9 COM for terminal 7&8
> >10 BLUE MOTOR
> >11 RED MOTOR
> >12 WHITE MOTOR
> >13 BROWN MOTOR
> >14 BLACK MOTOR
> >15 AC100V
> >16 AC100V
> >

> H off seems to be the power down mode, sometimes also called AWO,
for
> all windings off. TIM is a pulse that occurs once per cycle of
the stepping
> waveform, I guess every 5 steps. This presumably is used like the
> pulse from an encoder. OH is overheat.
>
> You'd need to find out the sequence of the windings in the motor to
> figure out the connections of the 10 wires. If there's no other
way,
> spin the motor with an electric drill or other spindle, and hook a
dual
> trace oscilloscope to the wires to figure out the phase
relationship.

> Note the 100 VAC is Japanese power. These may or may not go up in
> smoke on 120 V power!
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

jm_fong 2003-10-20 07:55:10 UTC Vexta 5 phase drive hookup Jon Elson 2003-10-20 10:24:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Vexta 5 phase drive hookup jm_fong 2003-10-20 14:26:25 UTC Re: Vexta 5 phase drive hookup jm_fong 2003-10-21 07:42:28 UTC Re: Vexta 5 phase drive hookup Jon Elson 2003-10-21 10:43:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vexta 5 phase drive hookup jm_fong 2003-10-21 16:23:43 UTC Re: Vexta 5 phase drive hookup Raymond Heckert 2003-10-21 16:37:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Vexta 5 phase drive hookup Harvey White 2003-10-21 22:11:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Vexta 5 phase drive hookup jm_fong 2003-10-22 08:17:18 UTC Re: Vexta 5 phase drive hookup Carey Culpepper 2003-10-24 17:25:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Vexta 5 phase drive hookup