CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quick change spindle setups

Posted by Les Watts
on 2000-03-31 07:59:09 UTC
Jon Anderson wrote:

> Les,
>
> Do you have any idea what issue of FWW has the review?
> What I'm doing is machining where I need multiple tools. Tolerances
> pretty much rule out taking parts in and out of the fixture, and that's
> a lot of extra handling (time=$$).
> I probably will make the whole spindle/motor assembly easy to remove,
> would like to be able to mount a small high speed grinder.
> Also, I might well mount a Sherline headstock near the end of my table
> travel, and make up some table mounted tool holders, so that I can do
> some CNC turning. I've turned parts in a CNC mill spindle before too.
>
> Jon

Yeah jon I found it- oct 99 page 40.

It seems the tester had problems with chatter and excessive vibration.
Also the push in force was 50 lb.

The unit worked ok only for very small short bits.

As far as a turning spindle for the mill bed I was thinking of building one
up from some taper roller bearings. Mabye a spindle bore of 2" or something
like that. It's rotation could be open loop. Even with only 3 axes you could
put a single point tool horizontal, another pointing opposite and upside down,
and a third pointing down. So you could get at least 3 turning tools on
the Z with very little fuss. Just move x,y,and z to get the selected tool in
position. Get it?
--
Leslie M.Watts
Illinois Tool Works

Discussion Thread

ptengin@a... 2000-03-30 22:27:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quick change spindle setups Les Watts 2000-03-31 06:11:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quick change spindle setups Jon Anderson 2000-03-31 06:33:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quick change spindle setups Jon Anderson 2000-03-31 06:38:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quick change spindle setups Les Watts 2000-03-31 07:59:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quick change spindle setups Jon Anderson 2000-03-31 09:20:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quick change spindle setups