CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Hardening rails

on 2003-11-22 14:19:37 UTC
Plus what no one is mentioning is that hardening it will have no real effect on the what
he was complaining about(stiffness). Or at least very little.

Garry

To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
From: "caudlet" <info@...>
Date sent: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:55:37 -0000
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Hardening rails
Send reply to: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "zxcvbnm12330134"
> <johnatl@m...> wrote:
> > I bought some W-1 Water Hardening Drill Rod to use with my
> > hand-me-down Thompson Super Ball Bushing linear bearings.
> >
> > The write-up said it was usable as-is, which I suppose it is,
> > but it isn't as stiff as I was expecting. Can I heat this with
> > my little propane torch, then quench it in a bucket or with a
> > water hose? I probably won't be able to get the whole thing
> > hot at once. Maybe I could put it in the oven at 500deg?
> >
> > Thanks for any advice!
> >
> > Regards,
> > JJ
>
> There are two processes that have to be used to harden high carbon
> steel. (Case hardening is reserved for low carbon steel and is a
> surface process). First you have to take the entire steel piece up
> over the critical temp (varies with alloys but is 1500 to 1875 deg F).
> Some of the old guys can look at the color at tell you when you get
> to the magic temp. The molecular structure of the steel changes at
> this temp and the crystal structure (grain) realigns. The best way to
> determine critical temp is to heat the steel until a magnet will not
> stick. Once you reach the critical temp it has to be very rapidly
> cooled by plunging (submersing) it into water. The entire "quenching"
> process should not take more than a few seconds. This makes the metal
> very hard and brittle. The next step is to anneal the piece by
> bringing it up to a lower temp and rapidly quinching it again. This
> softens the steel but maintains the toughness. Heating steel then
> letting it cool slowly will completely anneal (maximum softness).
> Taking the metal up anywhere BELOW the critical temp and quenching it
> will not add any hardness.
>
> If you try to do this in sections you will get twisting and warping of
> the rod. There will be soft and hard spots. You have to bring the
> entire piece up to critical temp which means several torches at once.
> At those tempratures scale will form on the surface of the metal
> inless it is in a reduced oxygen environment. This scale will have to
> be removed (normally with grinding).
>
> For precision ways using THK slides, I would suggest you find
> hardened and ground rods, ground to the correct dimension. Heat
> treating steel will cause it to change size and may well be out of
> spec for the bearings. Unless you are familiar with heat treating I
> would not recommend it for making larger critical parts.

> timg@... Moderator: pentam@...
> indigo_red@... [Moderators] URL to this group:
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
> it if you have trouble. http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

> a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
> there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
> [...]

Discussion Thread

zxcvbnm12330134 2003-11-22 10:32:38 UTC Hardening rails turbulatordude 2003-11-22 10:41:23 UTC Re: Hardening rails washcomp 2003-11-22 11:12:15 UTC Re: Hardening rails caudlet 2003-11-22 11:55:55 UTC Re: Hardening rails Garry & Maxine Foster 2003-11-22 14:19:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Hardening rails ccq@x... 2003-11-22 14:34:24 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hardening rails Elliot Burke 2003-11-22 14:46:38 UTC re:Hardening rails Jon Elson 2003-11-22 17:21:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hardening rails Jon Elson 2003-11-22 17:26:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hardening rails JanRwl@A... 2003-11-22 18:45:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hardening rails John Johnson 2003-11-22 21:36:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hardening rails Brian 2003-11-23 07:32:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Hardening rails brasslathe 2003-11-24 10:40:16 UTC Re: Hardening rails Douglas Pollard 2003-11-24 15:34:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Hardening rails