CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM software with 2D relief capabilities

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2003-11-23 12:40:01 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Brad Eyben" <abeyben@t...>
wrote:
> If you have a typical flat surface such as the bottom of a pocket
and
> imagine it was plastic. Then you were to apply heat and watch it
slump
> downwards as it started to melt but was attached by the edges so as
to form
> kind of a bubble.
> That's the kind of surface I would like to create.

This is called a number of terms, depending on exactly what you are
trying to do.

If you start with a closed contour and apply a profile to the sides
to form a contoured edge, but retain a flat surface on top of say a
letter, the function is called beveling or S-curve profiling.

Accutrans has a somewhat crude method of creating this kind of form
from DXF profiles and it can save it as an .stl or DXF file.

Vector XT on the other hand will directly create a radius comped
water line toolpath from this kind of geometry. You set the angle
and tangent arc sizes at the top and bottom, and the toolpath is
directly created. Vector with 3D surfacing can also model a Y-Z
profile surface by driving a cross section along another contour.
From this surface a variety of toolpaths can be produced.

Another method of creating similar but more decorative geometry is to
use a Bi-rail sweep. This function will automatically create a
surface that scales it's cross section based on the distance
(proportionally) between two rail, guide curves. You can maintain a
constant Z height, or allow the Z height to vary in a linear fashion
between controlling curves at each end of the bi-rails.

http://www.imsrv.com/vectorxt/birail.jpg
http://www.imsrv.com/vectorxt/birailtoolpath.jpg

If you have a drawing program (like Corel draw) with a precise
control over color gradients, you can also use a 3D height field
process to change the depth of cut, based on the 256 gray scale
variations. DeskCNC has a great approach to this process, with
internal image adjustment, modification, editing and filters.

None of these options are as automated as Cimigraphi or ArtCam, but
it is possible to create fairly nice decorative work pieces using
these techniques, without shelling out $8000 for the software.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService

Listserve Special discounts and offers are at:
http://www.imsrv.com/hobby

We are THE source for low cost Cad Cam

Discussion Thread

Brad Eyben 2003-11-22 13:41:30 UTC CAM software with 2D relief capabilities Robert Campbell 2003-11-22 15:20:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAM software with 2D relief capabilities Fred Smith 2003-11-22 19:36:13 UTC Re: CAM software with 2D relief capabilities Brad Eyben 2003-11-23 08:42:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CAM software with 2D relief capabilities Brad Eyben 2003-11-23 09:08:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software with 2D relief capabilities rotarysmp 2003-11-23 09:58:13 UTC Re: CAM software with 2D relief capabilities Brad Eyben 2003-11-23 11:19:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software with 2D relief capabilities Fred Smith 2003-11-23 12:40:01 UTC Re: CAM software with 2D relief capabilities rotarysmp 2003-11-23 13:36:38 UTC Re: CAM software with 2D relief capabilities Michael Milligan 2003-11-23 14:43:15 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: CAM software with 2D relief capabilities