CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size

on 2003-11-24 08:25:38 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "surfbuilder2003"
<mek0002@a...> wrote:
> Hello, I am still researching everything and am now puzzled about
> something. Do you get a bigger motor as your screw gets bigger? Or
> does it reach a certain point where you cant get a bigger motor and
> you have to start gearing it down? My table I am trying to build
will
> be 4' x 10'. Thanks for any info.
>
> Mike

The biggest killer with increased screw length is rotational inertia,
ie something really long takes more power to stop and start. Plus
supporting the screw becomes a problem.

The 4' axis won't be a big problem but the 10'er will give you some
issues under normal use.

Suggestion:
For the 10' axis fix the screw (rigidly secured on both ends) and put
the all the rotational and moving parts on the gantry. This way
rotational inertia is minimized and you can go with a standard size
motor.

Thanks

Aaron Moss
WWW.IndustrialHobbies.com

Discussion Thread

surfbuilder2003 2003-11-23 20:18:34 UTC Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size JanRwl@A... 2003-11-23 21:12:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size industrialhobbies 2003-11-24 08:25:38 UTC Re: Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size surfbuilder2003 2003-11-24 09:39:00 UTC Re: Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size industrialhobbies 2003-11-24 18:43:15 UTC Re: Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size