CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size

on 2003-11-24 18:43:15 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "surfbuilder2003"
<mek0002@a...> wrote:
> Helo Aaron,
>
> Thanks
> for the suggestion. If I do that what would you think would be a
> standard size motor I would use?

I emailed you my phone #, but I guess you don't want to call :(.
I like servos, it's my thing, but if you went with a pittman 14207
($130) and a gecko 320 ($120) and a 3 to 1 reduction you can push the
gantry around all day and night without anything getting hot.

Someone mentioned cutting foam, (i think it was this project) the
cool thing about foam is the cutting pressure in next to nothing
(pressure between the cutter edge and the material), if the cutting
pressure gets too high (more than a few PSI) then the cut goes to
crap because the foam distorts and tears under the pressure. This
is good for CNC specs because than you do not have to run a massive
motor.

Take a look at the kits I sell for CNC, The Universal Servo Drive
uses the 14207 with a 3 to 1 reduction and can push the mill table
loaded all day (continious duty) without getting more than warm.

Give me a call, before midnight EST. I talk faster than I type, so
get some pen and paper and get ready to take notes.

thanks
Aaron Moss
www.IndustrialHobbies.com

> Thanks
> Mike
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "industrialhobbies"
> <admin@i...> wrote:
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "surfbuilder2003"
> > <mek0002@a...> wrote:
> > > Hello, I am still researching everything and am now puzzled
about
> > > something. Do you get a bigger motor as your screw gets bigger?
> Or
> > > does it reach a certain point where you cant get a bigger motor
> and
> > > you have to start gearing it down? My table I am trying to
build
> > will
> > > be 4' x 10'. Thanks for any info.
> > >
> > > Mike
> >
> > The biggest killer with increased screw length is rotational
> inertia,
> > ie something really long takes more power to stop and start.
Plus
> > supporting the screw becomes a problem.
> >
> > The 4' axis won't be a big problem but the 10'er will give you
some
> > issues under normal use.
> >
> > Suggestion:
> > For the 10' axis fix the screw (rigidly secured on both ends) and
> put
> > the all the rotational and moving parts on the gantry. This way
> > rotational inertia is minimized and you can go with a standard
size
> > motor.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Aaron Moss
> > WWW.IndustrialHobbies.com

Discussion Thread

surfbuilder2003 2003-11-23 20:18:34 UTC Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size JanRwl@A... 2003-11-23 21:12:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size industrialhobbies 2003-11-24 08:25:38 UTC Re: Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size surfbuilder2003 2003-11-24 09:39:00 UTC Re: Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size industrialhobbies 2003-11-24 18:43:15 UTC Re: Is Stepper Motor Size Relevent To Screw Size