CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Stepper and driver

Posted by caudlet
on 2003-11-24 11:55:10 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "skykotech" <rick@s...> wrote:
> Wow, that is a honkin machine (18' travel!) you have in mind. Of
> course I have tried my hand at building wooden boats (27' cold-
molded
> sailboat) so I know the need for the travel.
>
> Personally, I would nix the oak and go with regular steel I-Beams.
> You might be pleasantly surprised how cheap a 20 foot long section
of
> steel can be. Probably cheaper than the oak, heh heh.

I'm with Rick on the Oak issue. As a longtime woodworker and shorter
time metalworker I don't think you can control the movement of oak
timbers in changing weather and humidity conditions. The problem
will be that it will transmit itself to the moving parts and cause
accuracy problems or worse, binding. Take a deep breath and step
away from the oak and consider the I beam or thickwall square tubing.
There is a reason Powermatic doesn't use oak for their table saws
(just kidding).

I love wood too but this metal stuff has seduced me and I must admit
that slicing cold steel with a plasma ball is a pretty earthy
experience!

My second CNC project was a combo router/plasma table. After cutting
steel my router sits gathering dust.....soon, I am going to build
another table JUST for a router....Soon.

Discussion Thread

Douglas Pollard 2003-11-24 07:54:50 UTC Stepper and driver skykotech 2003-11-24 10:37:45 UTC Re: Stepper and driver Erie Patsellis 2003-11-24 11:32:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Stepper and driver caudlet 2003-11-24 11:55:10 UTC Re: Stepper and driver Pat Bearss 2003-11-25 05:33:21 UTC Re: Stepper and driver ballendo 2003-11-25 05:38:00 UTC Re: Stepper and driver