CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply

on 2004-01-01 12:25:22 UTC
If your encoders are like mine they won't work with the Gecko 320. Mine
were sine wave encoders and don't have the proper signal for the Gecko
to understand. Mine were marked similar to yours. I'm waiting for US
Digital to come back from Christmas break to order new encoders.

The A+, A-, B+ and B- seems to indicate that these are not TTL output
encoders, based on my research. Z- and Z+ would be for the index
channel. Common is V- or the negative source of your 5V supply and the
shield goes to chassis ground which can probably be tied to common.

Greg

andrebarclay wrote:
> Happy New Year to all,
>
> I would be a lot happier if I could hook up these damn servos to my
> gecko 320s.
> I talked to Mariss @ Gecko and in his usual fashion explained
> everything thoroughly but I must have written something down wrong so
> now I'm stuck and too chicken to waist more of his time (he really is
> patient with boneheads like me.)
>
> I did gather that I needed a separate power supply for each of the
> encoders since they draw more current then the geckos can supply.
>
> Here is what I have. My encoders have 8 wires with the following
> functions:
>
> Orange CH A+ This goes to Phase A on the drive
> Green CH A- Where does this go?
> Yellow CH B+ This goes to Phase B on the drive
> Blue CH B- Where does this go?
> Brown CH Z+ I understand that this is not used.
> Grey CH Z- I understand that this is not used.
> Red CH +5v +5v from my power supply goes directly to this.
> Black Common Where does this go?
> Shield Drain Where is the best place to drain this to?
>
> Hope someone can help!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andre Barclay

Discussion Thread

andrebarclay 2004-01-01 12:10:55 UTC Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply Gregory Kamysz 2004-01-01 12:25:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply Mariss Freimanis 2004-01-01 13:07:13 UTC Re: Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply wayne_j_hill 2004-01-01 16:05:04 UTC Re: Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply Jon Elson 2004-01-01 19:33:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply andrebarclay 2004-01-01 20:18:30 UTC Re: Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply