CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply

andrebarclay wrote:

>Happy New Year to all,
>
>I would be a lot happier if I could hook up these damn servos to my
>gecko 320s.
>I talked to Mariss @ Gecko and in his usual fashion explained
>everything thoroughly but I must have written something down wrong so
>now I'm stuck and too chicken to waist more of his time (he really is
>patient with boneheads like me.)
>
>I did gather that I needed a separate power supply for each of the
>encoders since they draw more current then the geckos can supply.
>
>Here is what I have. My encoders have 8 wires with the following
>functions:
>
>Orange CH A+ This goes to Phase A on the drive
>Green CH A- Where does this go?
>Yellow CH B+ This goes to Phase B on the drive
>Blue CH B- Where does this go?
>Brown CH Z+ I understand that this is not used.
>Grey CH Z- I understand that this is not used.
>Red CH +5v +5v from my power supply goes directly to this.
>Black Common Where does this go?
>Shield Drain Where is the best place to drain this to?

Connect A+ to the Gecko phase A.
Connect B+ to the Gecko phase B.
Connect black (common) to the enc -.
Connect a 470 Ohm resistor between enc+ and enc- when not using the Gecko
to power the encoder. Connect your external encoder power source between
+5 and Common on the encoder. All other signals can just be tied off with
tape or heat shrink tubing.

The Z (index) signal is not of any use to the Gecko drive, but can be used
to refine the accuracy of the home switch.

The shield may not need to be connected in all cases. It probably should
be connected to enc- if you use shileded cables to connect encoder to Gecko
drive. Another reply says that the A+ A- signals are not digital or TTL,
but sine wave. While that is possible, and if he is using the same
motor/encoder
then that may be true, it is not necessarily so. Many digital encoders use
differential signals of 5V or TTL signal characteristics, and would use the
A+ A- designation to indicate the two complementary signals of a
differential
pair.

andrebarclay 2004-01-01 12:10:55 UTC Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply Gregory Kamysz 2004-01-01 12:25:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply Mariss Freimanis 2004-01-01 13:07:13 UTC Re: Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply wayne_j_hill 2004-01-01 16:05:04 UTC Re: Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply Jon Elson 2004-01-01 19:33:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply andrebarclay 2004-01-01 20:18:30 UTC Re: Gecko 320 with external encoder power supply