CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Engraving software

on 2004-01-05 18:11:26 UTC
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Shawncd" <shawncd@p...>
>wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with Millwrite engraving software?
>Actually
> any input or past experiences with different engraving software
>would be
> appreciated. There are allot to chose from. I would like to buy
>this only
> once.
> Thanks in advance.

I have and use the early version, not the Millwrite 2000 edition.
It's a very good program but weird to use. It's a Windows program but
looks like DOS on acid <g>
One of the very few programs that use stick fonts as opposed to true
type which generated a double toolpath.
You can make new fonts or edit existing ones if needed but It's also
possible to alter the standard ones in many ways by italics, spacing,
kerning etc.

Les has commented that it's slow to generate tool paths but unless
that's the 2000 edition I have found it to be very fast.
One thing in Millwrite that never seems to get a mention is a small
program inside it called Fontlink. What this does is to take a DXF
file and convert it into a form that Millwrite can understand.
As an example, scan a logo in and convert it to a dxf with Wintopo or
other R to V software. Then open this in Fontlink and it will save it
as a letter, say use the letter H for a Harley logo.
Once you go into Millwrite you select a symbol and type in H and you
logo will appear. Then you can alter this by defining the length or
height without having to scale or redraw the logo. This whole
operation is very fast.

Fred Smith does some engraving software but I haven't used these so I
can't comment. Perhaps Fred can chime in here?

John S.

Discussion Thread

Shawncd 2004-01-04 22:12:53 UTC Engraving software Leslie M. Watts 2004-01-05 04:55:25 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Engraving software stevenson_engineers 2004-01-05 18:11:26 UTC Re: Engraving software