CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Pwm control & Spindle input (Mach2_index input)

Posted by George Ray
on 2004-01-25 08:44:04 UTC
All the mach inputs to the computer have to be translated
to "computerese" and you have be EXTREAMLY careful not to speak any
other language or dialect or you will blow out the computers
eardrums or worse.
COMPUTERESE =>TTL signals where (0V ,+5V) is either (on,off) or
(off,on).
Blow out Eardrums => fry/smoke the parallel port or whole computer.

Suggest strongly that you invest in an interface/breakout board that
contains little translating and isolating elves. This does two
things. (a) it allows a varity of inputs types to be translated into
TTL on/off. (2) It isolates the electrical circuit of the computer
from the circuits of the machinery being controlled. (.e.g. 440V
3phase is nothing your would want to get even close to your
computer's mother board.)

Such a board would be the one available from
(www.Campbelldesigns.com). I bought one last year and am a year
behind in getting my servos and controller and SW (MACH2) set up.
They have a newer model (aprox. $99) and Bob Campbell seems to be
very active in various CNC forums and based on that I have formed a
positive opinion of him.

There could very possibly be remaining electrical/electronic
conversion issues with any given sensing circuit. However, as you
experiment and or build/but circuits to deal with those issues, you
are protecting your computer.

George Ray, Coastal NC USA

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Hoffa"
<jack.darlene.hoffa@a...> wrote:
> Help-For Elect. Dummy Running Mach2 (I tried that group but no
Help)
> 1. From PWM control in Manual (4.7.3)how do I convert the PWM
signal
> to 0 to 10 volts?
> 2. I have a 15 to 34 volt inductive proximity switch (NPN) and a 18
> volt power supply. Can I use this for the input to the index input
> pin? 6.1.5 of Manual
> I have a Hitachi SJ100 (3HP) Inverter. My Mill has a 2HP 3P motor
> that is currently running from a rotary phase converter.
>
> Thanks in advance for the Help
> Jack Hoffa
> jack.darlene.hoffa@a...

Discussion Thread

Jack Hoffa 2004-01-24 21:15:40 UTC Pwm control & Spindle input james_cullins@s... 2004-01-25 06:08:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pwm control & Spindle input Ed Gilbert 2004-01-25 08:44:04 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Pwm control & Spindle input George Ray 2004-01-25 08:44:04 UTC Re: Pwm control & Spindle input (Mach2_index input) George Ray 2004-01-25 08:44:07 UTC Re: Pwm control & Spindle input (PWM=>voltage)