CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.

Posted by Ward M.
on 2000-04-11 21:08:22 UTC
Jon,

Yes, the roller/rod idea sounds like it has real possibilities. I believe
that McMaster-Carr has hardened and ground rod available in the required
lengths. Drill rod would probably work for shorter lengths. Anti-backlash
precision gears are fairly easy to get and the resolution increase would be
really helpful and just nice to have.

Ward M.

ward@...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Anderson" <janders@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2000 7:05 AM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting
idea.

> Ward,
>
> I never doubted the compression/extension effects of bending metal,
> having worked in precision sheetmetal for several years. As I mentioned,
> the two opposite direction bends will work to stretch the material,
> negating at least some of what you have gained. If it does work, it's a
> darn clever approach.I just have my doubts that it really will work in
> this application. I don't have any hangups about the approach either.
> Would be pretty easy to build.
>
> Another approach that could work would be to tilt the axis of the
> measuring roller slightly, something like a VCR head in relation to the
> tape but not as severe. One would need to constrain the ribbon to
> prevent it climbing off it's intended track. This arrangement would
> generate a slip angle, and a difference in relative travel.
>
> However, the setup I previously described using opposing disks running
> on a round rod really does offer a lot. Everything could be enclosed in
> a sealed housing and standard shaft seals would insure nothing gets
> inside the unit. I passed on it due to the need to make a circuit board.
> If I still had the plans, I'd just use the DRO kit Dan is selling, and
> build some for my lathes.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

Jon Elson 2000-04-10 15:33:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. Scott Acorn 2000-04-10 16:48:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. Wayne Bengtsson 2000-04-11 02:27:26 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. Jon Anderson 2000-04-11 07:07:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. Scott Acorn 2000-04-11 13:07:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea. Ward M. 2000-04-11 21:08:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotary to linear translation - an interesting idea.